1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Missing feathers on back of hens head. Solution?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chixcoop, May 13, 2016.

1. chixcoop

chixcoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2015
    Western Mass
    When my rooster mates with the hens it seems that he always has to grab them behind the back of their head with his beak. Well, now most of the feathers are missing from the girls head. Is this normal since he is a bantam? I do not remember how my standard rooster used to mate with the hens though, but this roosters behavior doesn't seem normal.

Experience with this?

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    That's what they do... The head grabbing, that is. I've had girls with bloody combs when my rooster was "learning" and would miss their feathers.

You could put a little iodine on them to turn their skin dark and avoid pecking.

How many ladies are in with him?

MrsB

3. chixcoop

chixcoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2015
    Western Mass
    2 roosters for 5. We have 9, but he only mates with a select 5, and sometimes 6.

Is the iodine bad if it touches their bald skin?

4. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    You want the idione on their bare skin. It's a disinfectant and hides bare, red skin (which can be a target for pecking, if you have a bully).

I feel like you should put your best male in with the 9, and separate the other rooster.

MrsB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by