1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Missing feathers on back

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jennyhaschicks, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    A couple of my hens are missing feathers on their backs. Well, the feathers aren't ripped out just broken off.
    Would the cause of this be breeding?
    Sorry I am fairly new to this, but breeding is the only thing I can think of??

2. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Yes your roster is being rough. How many hens to roo ratio do you have ? If you have to many roo's thay can wear those girls out. Should be around 8 hens to a roo. There is a garment you can put on them to help the feathers gro back in but I can't think of what it's called . [​IMG]

IM sure someone else will come along and tell you about it.

3. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    I have 3 roos right now. I only have 9 hens. [​IMG]
    I know. I know. We were supposed to cull 2 of the roos this weekend. We ended up taking the kids somewhere on Sat and my nephews b day party on Sunday. So they are going this week (end) at the latest.
    As far as I have seen my hens don't let the younger roos breed them. I didn't know if they were grabbing my hens and trying to breed them and breaking feathers.
    On the other hand I think my older roo can be a bit rough.

4. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I think it's called a saddle. Go to search and type in saddle. [​IMG]

5. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    yep...they're called chicken saddles..
    try poultry supply places online,
    some people make them,
    google "chicken saddles"...you'll find links for them there.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by