Missing feathers on stomach? WENT TO THE VET!!! Not good...

featherfinder

Runner Lover
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
Pinallas Park, Florida
I picked up my duck last night and flipped her on her back. (she loves being held and laying like this. Also was raised inside till last week) Well I start petting her stomach and its really prickly. I look and she is missing alot of feathers underneather her. They were kinda like dead feathers that had lost the soft outer part and were just spikes sticking out now. Im not sure how lond it has been like this because i do not pick her up all them time. Any idea what it could be and how to help her?

Last edited:
Then it is probably just her feathers growing in for the first time. Mine did the same thing when they were about 1.5 months old. I was a little concerned about the "quills" that were showing up on their breasts, however, then I noticed that the little feather tips were growing out of them. The ducks turned out fine.
smile.png

I checked again last night. The feathers look dead. She already had them grow in on her stomach so I know they are not new ones and there is no new feathers growing out of the top of the quils. They are a brownish yellow color and she is white. I will have to get a picture.

After they grow feathers they lose those and get new ones, there is an early molt for baby ducks. One of my males, his whole chest went bald and you could see his skin. Then you could see the short little points of new growth (discolored because there is living tissue in there forming the feather) and then in about 1 week and half he was coming into good feather again. The others didn't do it as had as he did, they had a more graceful transition.

If the duck is acting normal, I would just watch. Likely is just new feather growth.

Quote:
She is not acting normal either. Im already watching her for that. I am posting a picture tonight when i go to take care of her. Maybe you can check back and tell me if it looks like what your duck's did?

Back
Top Bottom