Missing feathers on top hen

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Gdalton, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Gdalton

Gdalton Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2014
    Hi,

My flock molted this fall, and while they all got bald spots, 2 out of 4 looked good again quickly, 1 still looks a little fuzzy with new feathers, and 1 (a barred rock) is STILL missing feathers 3 months later. It was mostly under her vent, then it became a little bit over her vent, now she is also missing feathers at the base of her tail and spreading up one side. She is my oldest (~1.5 years old), and has always been the biggest and top bird in the flock. I have no roosters, feed no extra treats consistently, and she still lays the largest eggs. I thought she was improving (a little more fuzz above her vent), but now that the weather has turned frigid, her new growth is gone again. They roost together at night, her with a younger australorp. I'm wondering if the australorp is pecking at her at night, when she is not likely to move. Thoughts?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  2. ChickenWing

ChickenWing Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Have you checked for mites?

3. Gdalton

Gdalton Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2014
    I have looked several times, but I haven't seen anything. I haven't experienced mites before, so I may be missing them. All the other birds don't seem affected.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by