Missing Feathers, Possible to Identify Breed?

ajamichelle

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 13, 2014
New Mexico
Hi everyone!

I'm new here and am also new to keeping chickens. This is my first flock. I started with five chicks acquired in May of this year (2014) and have recently acquired two adult hens who are already laying (Aug 2014). These ladies were living with three other hens in an area I believe was too small. Their previous caretaker was understandably concerned about their welfare, and rehomed them to me.

I would so appreciate any input into breed type. They're both missing a lot of feathers (one hen especially), so I'm not able to identify them, and am hoping that the experts here can. Additionally, I'm a novice so I'm only guessing anyway. :)

I have five chickens in my original flock: four hens and one rooster. One hen and the rooster are 16 weeks old and the other three are 14 weeks. The two adults are just over 1 year old. All of the hens are about the same size, and the rooster is at least twice the size of everyone else. I took and risk and skipped quarantining, the pecking order is established, and the new gals are much happier and in much better shape already.

Please see below for corrected post with photos. :) Sorry for the confusion!

Last edited:
Your first 3 pics are either black Australorps or Jersey giants pullets. Look at bottom of feet, if their yellow than JG, if their white then their Aussies. 4 looks mixed,
Then your missing feather new girls you got, I can't tell, they look rough. Then you have a few naked neck turkens and the last pic is a cockerel
Oh also the 3rd pic from bottom, there's a buff Turken pullet and a darker Turken, the darker is a cockerel.

Last edited:
I am sooo sorry! I usually post links using photobucket on forums, but the content is not displayed correctly. So here's my post with embedded photos...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone!

I'm new here and am also new to keeping chickens. This is my first flock. I started with five chicks acquired in May of this year (2014) and have recently acquired two adult hens who are already laying (Aug 2014). These ladies were living with three other hens in an area I believe was too small. Their previous caretaker was understandably concerned about their welfare, and rehomed them to me.

I would so appreciate any input into breed type. They're both missing a lot of feathers (one hen especially), so I'm not able to identify them, and am hoping that the experts here can. Additionally, I'm a novice so I'm only guessing anyway. :)

I have five chickens in my original flock: four hens and one rooster. One hen and the rooster are 16 weeks old and the other three are 14 weeks. The two adults are just over 1 year old. All of the hens are about the same size, and the rooster is at least twice the size of everyone else. I took and risk and skipped quarantining, the pecking order is established, and the new gals are much happier and in much better shape already.

Black Chicken - hen-pecked for sure. She was missing feathers but didn't have a lot of bald spots; primarily only one on her back and I think that came from being pecked by the other four chickens from her previous home because she's broody and they were all sharing two single-chicken sized nest boxes in a run barely large enough for two chickens. She's a biter.

Black Chicken's feathers are black with a beautiful iridescent green shimmer.

Top egg was laid by Black Chicken and the bottom was laid by Brown Chicken.

Brown Chicken - Missing most of her feathers, but many have come in already! Her butt was completely bald, and it's already fully feathered again. :) Her legs appear to be a shimmery light golden/white color.

I'm guessing I have a rooster? Malory and Jane are turkens... they look completely different but are the same age. Malory is two to three times the size of Jane, both are approximately 16 weeks old. Malory crows and seems to be growing spurs...

Your first 3 pics are either black Australorps or Jersey giants pullets. Look at bottom of feet, if their yellow than JG, if their white then their Aussies. 4 looks mixed,
Then your missing feather new girls you got, I can't tell, they look rough. Then you have a few naked neck turkens and the last pic is a cockerel
Oh also the 3rd pic from bottom, there's a buff Turken pullet and a darker Turken, the darker is a cockerel.

Hi,
To make sure I understand (and I apologize for the embedded links) the first three (two on the new post) are the same Black Chicken. You're saying that if her feet are yellow then she's a Jersey Giant, and if they're white then she's an Australorp? Great :) Her feet appear to be yellow to me. :) And her egg resembles that of a JG.

Then the 4th photo in post 01 is also of the chicken we believe to be a JG.

The other missing feather new girl is "Brown Chicken" and she does look rough. I was guessing it'd be hard to ID her, given her lack of feathers.

Thanks for you opinion on the Turkens! :)

Back
Top Bottom