missing feathers/sore spots on 18 day old chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sealcovechickens, May 27, 2010.

1. sealcovechickens

sealcovechickens Hatching

May 27, 2010
    I have 3 golden polish in a mixed group of 18 day old chicks. They all have bare/sore spots on their back/spine area. I have segregated them from the other more aggressive chicks that have started pecking them. They have been somewhat fragile since I received them (lost one right away after arrival) but seem to be hanging in okay. Any suggestions as to treatment or etiology? The rest of the chicks are thriving. Thanks

2. tami2525

tami2525 Hatching

May 27, 2010
    6 weeks ago I started noticing patches on my chicken's backs where feathers were missing. I did some research, it is most often stress related. Could be the move has messed with the pecking order, lice or mites, change in diet, addition into a new flock. Lots of reasons.

Mine ended up having lice. I accepted 7 hens into the flock over the winter and I think they brought them in.

3. sealcovechickens

sealcovechickens Hatching

May 27, 2010
    Thanks for some things to check out. They are certainly the most stressed of the flock and lowest on the totem pole. I will research the lice and mite issue. I'm trying to be organic in my approach to treating them. Everything else that you mentioned such as changes in the flock, etc. has been pretty consistent since they arrived and the other chicks are doing well. Thanks again. Seal Cove Chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by