1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Missing Feathers - What does this look like?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LeftAtAlbuquerque, Nov 17, 2011.

1. LeftAtAlbuquerque

LeftAtAlbuquerque Out Of The Brooder

Poor Blondie, I thought she was molting or that she was being picked on by another girl. Now I think that it might be something else. I hope someone might be able to give me some ideas of what else it could be. She seems healthy otherwise, and my other five girls are just fine.
    Thanks,
    Sue

[​IMG]

2. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Do you have a rooster? That's what it looks like...that she is a favorite of the rooster. He rubs her back raw and bald. You can try a hen apron, or maybe some BlueKote.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Could be, could be molting also!! [​IMG]

4. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    I'm guessing she's about 18 months old and experiencing her first molt.

5. LeftAtAlbuquerque

LeftAtAlbuquerque Out Of The Brooder

No, I don't have a rooster, and I haven't seen anyone actually picking on her. Several months ago I thought that maybe it might be a picking issue, and I put a duct tape saddle on her, but that didn't seem to make a difference. Could lice possibly do this? I use DE, but I've never used anything stronger.

[​IMG]

6. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    WE have a hen who seems to take months to moult. And we had a rooster who did, too . She looks like a ragbag from July through October. Then in November she gets her new feathers and she is beautiful. Our rooster was moulting all winter...then he'd get HIS new beautiful feathers in the spring.
    Happened every year with both of them. I quit worrying about it.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by