missing feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AshelyPeep, Mar 4, 2017.

1. AshelyPeep

AshelyPeep Just Hatched

Dec 16, 2016
    Hello everyone, I just noticed my three game-mixed hens have missing feathers from the craw down and blue spots on there and purple spots on her legs. I live in Louisiana so the giants rats are an issue and its damp so mites could be an issue, but none of my other 40 birds have that. Anyone know what it could be?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Are you seeing any feather picking by the other chickens? There is obvious bruising on her chest and trauma from feathers being pulled out, and the marks on her legs could be bruising as well if the legs are not normally spotted. Are they new to the flock or low in the pecking order? Is there any problem with crop impaction or being broody? Is the bedding dry? I would look them over after dark with a flashlight to check for mites, since some only come on at night. What type of feed are you using? Overcrowding, too little protein in the diet, and not getting outside to roam around are some reasons for feather picking.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  3. AshelyPeep

AshelyPeep Just Hatched

Dec 16, 2016
    Thanks for responding! I did all those things. There were no mites, and I took away the older more dominant hen, I also put a board across the wire at that level. I never see them picking at each other and they have good food scratch/pellets and their rock bowl is full. They are game mixed hens so I can't let them out except 30 min.s befor dark or they'll go over the front fence and get in the flowerbeds. They still look like that thou and I don't know why. I gave them a tub of dirt w/ the diatumatious earth, but they're still bald in the front. No feathers in the pen. It's a big spacious pen w/ only those 4 and a rooster. No idea what's goin on w/ them

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I still feel it may be because they aren't getting outside for most of the day, but you can only do what you can do. I don't have any answers. I don't know anything about game chickens, but others on BYC do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by