Missing Feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mcdougal7, Mar 27, 2017.

1. mcdougal7

mcdougal7 New Egg

Jan 11, 2017
    [​IMG]
    My hens are missing feathers on their backs. All 3 of the Black Australorpes are like this. The Buff Orpingtons have missing Feathers in the same area, but it's not quite as many. What is causing this? Is it from the rooster mating with them or is it something else? Thought it would be higher up, if from the rooster. Don't think it's mites, and they get plenty of protein. The worst hen has recently gone broody, but but at least 4 hens out of 7 have feathers missing.

2. OliviaBirds

OliviaBirds Just Hatched

Feb 20, 2017
    Hi,

Some of my hens are like that too. My one that has the most missing feathers does seem to get more picked on by the roosters, but I think that most likely the hens are just molting since all of them are going through it at the same time. One of the biggest signs of this are the feathers. Do you have way more feathers scattered around your coop than usual? Also, make sure to provide protein rich food while your hens are going through their molt.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Olivia

3. OliviaBirds

OliviaBirds Just Hatched

Feb 20, 2017
    Here is a picture of my hen. You can see that her back is missing a lot of feathers.

[​IMG]

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi @mcdougal7 [​IMG] Welcome To BYC

It looks like your hen's feather loss if most likely from the rooster. You can try putting a hen saddle on her or if your rooster is young, separate him for a while until he matures. She will get new feathers when she goes through a molt. Check her skin to make sure there are no cuts, scrapes, abrasions from the rooster claws or spurs.

@OliviaBirds your hen also looks like her feather loss is from mating as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by