Missing feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Marah101, May 12, 2018.

1. Marah101

Marah101 Hatching

May 12, 2018
    So I have a 7 week old leghorn that has some issues. First, she is about 3x the size of my other leghorn and is wobbly and not walking right. Also, for like 3 weeks or so she has been missing a bunch of feathers. Her entire underside looks naked and under her wings. About a week ago she was in a crate with 6 other chickens the same age as her and she got what I thought were some pretty bad pecking wounds. I separated her, cleaned off her wounds and treated it with neosporin ointment. You can hardly see them anymore, they healed pretty nicely. So I thought the feather loss must be from the other chickens. But I am just not sure given her other issues. I want to make sure nothing is seriously wrong with her. And I don’t understand why she/he is so large!? Also, I thought for sure she was a hen but I am now leaning towards roo because I think the one that pecked her is for sure a roo. She is eating and drinking fine (like a ridiculous amount) and none of the other chickens have any issues. Can someone help?!

Attached Files:

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    :welcome I am sorry to tell you that is a Cornish X meat bird cockerel, and it's longevity will be limited. They are bred for rapid weight gain and early processing.

Cayuga momma likes this.
  3. Marah101

Marah101 Hatching

May 12, 2018
    Oh no! Is there anything I can do to keep him going? Like feeding it less? And what’s up with the feathers? I literally just saw him pulling out his own feathers.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Some folks have kept them alive up to a year by severely limiting feed and forcing them to forage. Sadly this only helps if they are on a restricted diet right from the start.

Cayuga momma likes this.
  5. Cayuga momma

Cayuga momma We are the makers of our own history.

Mar 13, 2018
    Western NY
    Awe I am so sorry. Some leghorns are bred to be meat birds. They grow large very fast. Some don't get feathered out like a normal leghorns. And then they are culled between 6 to 8 weeks, because they get to large to walk.
    Maybe feed her a lower protein feed or add rolled oats to her feed. (I heard that can help lower the protein, but I could be wrong.)
    Put her feed and water away from her coop so she has to walk further to get to it (exercise).
    I am so sorry. I wish I knew more to help.

6. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Enabler

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I am so sorry. Sourland is correct, it is a meat bird. :hugs

Cayuga momma likes this.
  7. Marah101

Marah101 Hatching

May 12, 2018
    Thank you Both for your help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: