missing feathers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sassychickengirl, May 22, 2010.

1. sassychickengirl

sassychickengirl Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    small town ohio
    I have three hens of various breeds that are missing feathers right up from their tail feathers on the lower back ( sorry, not sure on chicken anatomy yet). They've been missing these feathers since winter time. Will they ever grow back? They look terrible and I've not seen any bullying by the other hens to have caused it. It's like they start to grow back and then nothing. My salmon faverolle had missing feathers on her neck on lower back but those have all since grown back in. I'll try to get pics so you can see what I mean, but have been having trouble getting pics to upload.
    They have plenty of space since there's only five hens in about 132 sq. ft. pen when not free ranging and the coop is 4'x8'.

2. Tamrajh

Tamrajh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    West Haven
    Is there a roo?

3. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Quote:There is a roo listed in her signature line. Sounds like that could be the problem.

4. sassychickengirl

sassychickengirl Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    small town ohio
    No, there aren't any roos yet. The roo listed is the soon to be one I'll be getting in a few weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by