Missing feathers

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Countrycluckers, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Countrycluckers

Countrycluckers New Egg

Aug 11, 2013
    Eden, NC
    Hey all,

I am new to the BYC community and I am still learning my way around....slowly but surely!! :) I don't get to spend a lot of time on here like I want to so it will probably be a slow process for me to learn!! Just be patient with me and I will do my best to figure this out!! :0) Anyways, I enjoy my chickens and have had them for about a year now. I don't know everything I need to know about them and knew I was get plenty of help from BYC about the do's and don'ts of raising chickens. I am learning as I go and have made some mistakes but I am trying to get better!!

I have a couple of hens that are missing feathers on their backs and I don't know what is causing this. I didn't know if this is coming from some of the others pulling them out, breeding, mites, lice, disease, deficiencies or what? Could anyone let me know what is causing this and how to put a stop to it. I don't really have a vet in my area that deals with farm animals and I do the best I can. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated!! :0)

Thank you and I am happy to be here!!!! :0)

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! First of all, here's some tutorials and explanations on how things work here, how to do things, etc:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/faq

The missing feathers could be from an over-attentive rooster. Seeing it's on their backs. But I can't tell you for sure, without having seen them. Another cause for feather loss is molting. If you haven't already, dust them for mites as a precaution and keep an eye on them for any signs of bullying behaviour. If you have a rooster causing the bald spots you may need to remove him from the hens for awhile, to give them a chance to regrow those feathers or, if it's not practical and they are at risk of getting injured you can put them in hen saddles to give them some protection. Free pattern and pics here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/424354/free-chicken-apron-saddle-pattern

Enjoy the site!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  3. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! This time of year chickens are moulting (losing feathers and re-growing new feathers) but it wouldn't hurt to check for mites etc. Good luck to you.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas, countrycluckers, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! Looks like sumi and liz9910 gave you some great advice so I'll just say good luck to you!

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]there are also sellers on BYC (everything else for sale-section) that make hen aprons to protect their back from further rooster abuse. It also will help them regrow their feathers without other birds yanking them out.

8. Countrycluckers

Countrycluckers New Egg

Aug 11, 2013
    Eden, NC
    Thanks everyone for the welcomes and the info!!

I was wondering if they do have mites, what is the best thing to use for getting rid of those?

Thanks again and sorry it takes so long to respond but like I said I don't get to get on here a lot. It is a hit and miss type thing!! :0)

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Sevin dust or permethrin are both good, though sevin is the best of the 2.

10. Countrycluckers

Countrycluckers New Egg

Aug 11, 2013
    Eden, NC
    Ok, thanks!! Is DE any good for something like that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by