1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Missing Feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SheriLee, Dec 18, 2013.

1. SheriLee

SheriLee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    Long Island New York
    I noticed this morning that at least 3 of my 5 hens are missing feathers in their rears. There are no feathers laying around in their coop or run, is it possible they are being pecked? I haven't noticed any messy poop, mites, or other signs of infection. I don't think they are molting as it usually starts on their heads right?? I am worried now with the frigid temps we have been having in NY that their exposed areas will get frostbite. Anyone have any insight? Thank you. Sorry I didn't get a chance to take pictures and post them this morning.

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Pictures would be really useful, but what you are describing sounds like they could have mites. Mites are most active at night so its possible to look during the day and see no sign of them. Try going to the coop after dark and pick up a sleepy hen and examine the area by flashlight. If they have mites, you are far more likely to see them then, than when examining them during the day.

3. SheriLee

Mar 18, 2013
    Long Island New York
    Thank you. I will definitely examine them with a flash light tonight. Are mites difficult to treat? I did throw some dry leaves from my yard into their coop this fall to give them something to scratch at. I'm wondering if this is the culprit?

4. SheriLee

Mar 18, 2013
    Long Island New York
    My leghorn had to be taken inside today. When I got home from work her head was bloody and there was blood spattered every where. The other birds had picked at her comb and wattles very badly. I bathed her and am keeping her in for the night. I soaked her in some epsom salts as I noticed her bum area was bare. I didn't see any mites at all and noticed her feathers were a little thin around her neck area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by