Missing female guinea fowls

Nov 22, 2020
Hi all

Ive had my first flock of 10 guinea fowl for a few months.

We have slowly been losing 1 by 1. I've only just realised that it's the females, not the males that have disappeared. We now have 1 young female left. (4 males)

There seems to be no signs of kills including lose feathers.

There's been a few nights where they have decided to sleep very high up in a tree and not in their coop. The odd time I have be outside at the crack of dawn and all fowls have been accounted for. I have a gut feeling that it's the early hours of the morning they disappear. Today's hen went missing in between 9am and 2pm.

Any ideas?

Hi all

Ive had my first flock of 10 guinea fowl for a few months.

We have slowly been losing 1 by 1. I've only just realised that it's the females, not the males that have disappeared. We now have 1 young female left. (4 males)

There seems to be no signs of kills including lose feathers.

There's been a few nights where they have decided to sleep very high up in a tree and not in their coop. The odd time I have be outside at the crack of dawn and all fowls have been accounted for. I have a gut feeling that it's the early hours of the morning they disappear. Today's hen went missing in between 9am and 2pm.

Any ideas?
Where are you located?

In the southern hemisphere, it is likely guinea laying season which may mean that your hens are sitting on hidden nests. They are extremely vulnerable to predators at this stage.

Where are you located?

In the southern hemisphere, it is likely guinea laying season which may mean that your hens are sitting on hidden nests. They are extremely vulnerable to predators at this stage.

Ok, so, we went from 7, 6, today was 5. Yesterday we went Looking for nests, didn't find anything.

Today I saw flock hanging around a particular spots and kept going back to it. I go over to take a squiz, and found missing #6 and #7 on a nest 👏😀

Is there anyway I can protect them while not distributing them to much? Or let nature do its thing ?

Ok, so, we went from 7, 6, today was 5. Yesterday we went Looking for nests, didn't find anything.

Today I saw flock hanging around a particular spots and kept going back to it. I go over to take a squiz, and found missing #6 and #7 on a nest 👏😀

Is there anyway I can protect them while not distributing them to much? Or let nature do its thing ?
In
Where are you located?

In the great Southern

Listen to someone who had this problem with chickens.
Set up a camera and you’ll find out what happens. Then get electric fencing/run roof/automatic chicken door or whatever is needed.

Listen to someone who had this problem with chickens.
Set up a camera and you’ll find out what happens. Then get electric fencing/run roof/automatic chicken door or whatever is needed.

I'm keen to put cameras up , since theres no evidence of kills, I'm interested to see what's going on.

Back
Top Bottom