Missing Guinea

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by mrbstephens, Jan 11, 2013.

1. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a missing guinea tonight. Went to lock them up and there's one less. :(

2. JLeigh

JLeigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    North Georgia
    Uh oh - that's bad. Sorry about that mrb. Maybe luck will be in your favor (and the guinea's) and it will turn up in the morning. I hope so.

3. mrbstephens

I hope so too! We had a problem with a neighbor's dog a couple of months ago. It had gotten one of the guineas, but it recovered with some medical care. The neighbor reenforced the fence in their yard and I hadn't seen the dog since. I did notice the guineas making a ruckus today right next to my house. I should have taken a closer look at the time, but you know how guineas are.....they sqwuack at anything! I'm just hoping it wasn't a fox, because if it was it'll be back for more. :(

4. mrbstephens

Wondering about the slight possibility that it may be sitting on a nest. Could that happen in January?

5. NJchixs

NJchixs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Jackson, NJ
    Oh sorry. I hope it turns up. I had a missing chicken a couple months ago, it turned up late morning the next day. I hope that's the case with yours.

6. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Kinda early for a Hen sitting on a nest, in Jan. I have a Hen missing too, but even here (In CA) it's still too early for my Hens to being going broody on a full clutch some where out on my land. Hope your MIA Guinea turns up. Might want to check that area where your flock was making noise for any signs of feathers... usually there's a handful of scattered feathers that's a tell-tale sign of a predator taking a bird. Unfortunately there's lots of predators that are cold, hungry and looking for a quick warm meal this time of year [​IMG]

7. mrbstephens

I looked around the best I could, but it was already dark and it's raining. I didn't notice anything, but I'll check again in the morning.

8. mrbstephens

Bird is still missing. I didn't see any feathers anywhere on my property. I'm going to look around some more in a bit.

9. mrbstephens

Still nothing. In the meantime, the others are acting like nothing ever happened. I would have though they'd be acting strange and making more noise now that one is missing.

10. JLeigh

JLeigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    North Georgia
    So sorry mrb. I've had some chickens just "disappear". With one chicken, it literally was there one minute and then an hour later it was nowhere to be found - no feathers, nothing.
    I think in my case, hawks are the culprits.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by