missing guineas

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by guineagirl23, Aug 8, 2014.

1. guineagirl23

guineagirl23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2013
    arkansas
    Okay, so I had four guineas survive last year when we got them, two males and two females. This year they have been laying and doing amazing. Well, this week they all disappeared! One was dead in the run, a tad bit of blood in its mouth, not one other feather out of place. Two up and gone. One hen left, so I bought a male. They stayed for about 3 days and we're gone last night. I'm at my wits end. I don't know what is going on! No chickens missing, no feathers, no calls from Neighbors. I'm dumbfounded.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It sounds as if you are dealing with a night predator. Do the guineas roost outside?

3. guineagirl23

Sep 25, 2013
    arkansas
    Sorry for long reply time, no they r posted with the chickens in the coop

4. GuineaFowling

GuineaFowling Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2013
    Central California
    I would suggest that you predator proof your coop. Make sure your guineas go in at night to roost and then lock the door. Some people simply leave there coop doors open so they dont have to wake up early and let them out and the same people (people I am friends with) have lost birds. Perhaps you have a guinea thief on your hands, I know that some people like stealing birds. Also when you get a new adult guinea you should keep it in the coop for about a week and a half so it doesn't try and fly home. I sold 4, 2 month old keets and the person went home and just let them out into the field. I got a call and the person said the guineas flew away. Luckily, we dont live far from each other and the guinea keets came home to me so I was able to catch them and return them.

5. goatee

goatee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2014
    The one died penned up inside your coop?

6. guineagirl23

Sep 25, 2013
    arkansas
    The only reason i let them out is because the male i bought was sleeping on the roosts already and came back at nights.

Yes. Pen was closed when they dissapeared

7. GuineaFowling

GuineaFowling Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2013
    Central California
    Set up a game camera. Its worth the investment if you keep losing birds. You will see who or what is taking your birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by