1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

missing hen :( one escaped

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Grindlefamily, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Grindlefamily

Grindlefamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    We were gone this afternoon for about 6 hours, I have covered the run (it is short), but have not had any escapees for days, so I was pretty sure things were good - when I got home tonight the bantam hen we had just mixed in with the flock was missing. I live in town, and am desperately worried! I didn't find her here on our lot, can't hear her (but it is late and she is probably asleep if alive). [​IMG] I am so sad .... praying that she comes home in the am. [​IMG]:hit:hit
    Louella

2. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    I hope you find her in the morning. I will be thinking about, keep us updated! [​IMG]

3. Shannonwbl

Shannonwbl Chillin' With My Peeps

We are pretty new to chickens, but this has happened to me twice. Look UP. Two of our chickens got locked out of the coop by accident and we looked everywhere and found them in the trees above the coop about 12ft up. Not sure how they got that high but it was a pain to get them down.

4. Grindlefamily

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    She has her wing clipped, as she is a flyer. I did look up into the trees, not sure she would make it too far, except in the pine tree there and I looked in there the best I can [​IMG] Worried - as there are lots of neighborhood cats, and she is not very big as she is a bantam (1 year old).

Louella

5. porteryork

porteryork Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    Rosie the Hamburg is an escape artist too. I used to freak out over it and worry myself into a tizzy. She, however, is just fine. She lets herself out at night to roost in a tree or just see what is going on over the fence. She always is waiting for me in the morning to let her in, if I am late, she just lets herself in.

I bet you will find her in the morning. Take deep breaths and relax, she is okay.
    Michelle

6. Shannonwbl

Shannonwbl Chillin' With My Peeps

Before we figured out ours were in the trees, we found them in the morning scratching around. I bet you will find her in the morning!

7. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    its my experience they will usually come back to the other birds in the morning. i had a hen go missing once not a sign of her for 2 weeks or more then one morning i saw chicken droppings on the back porch i looked everywhere i could swear it. weeks later she was on the back porch early in the morning i just stayed quite and watched her she squeezed into a space i didnt think a mouse could get into behind some old lumber and a old door i picked it up and there she was on a nest of 19 eggs and they were pipping all 19 hatxhed and lived i couldnt believe it. just a lil story for inspiration. good luck i hope u find her keep us posted

8. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    [​IMG] I hope you find her in the morning

9. Grindlefamily

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    She's BACK! Right at the pen when my daughter went out to let the others out. Going to do some tightening of holes today.

Louella

10. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by