missing hen..UPDATED* case closed

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by heather112588, Jul 11, 2011.

1. heather112588

heather112588 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    We always let our 13 birds free range during the day (putting them away around 5pm). Only twice in 3 years were our birds ever gotten by predaters (fox) ...and that was mostly from faults of ours. Yesterday one of our barred rock girls (tilly) just disappeared during the day...no feathers, no trace at all...in the past when we had fox issues there were at least a trail of feathers (i mention fox of course because we consistantly fight them around here...literally could catch 6 per month). We spent the evening looking and calling for her with no luck. Gilda (my rir roo) was raising hell and called for her for hours so we know it was something that got her... any ideas what could take her w/o a trace? For everyone who may think hawk, just know that she was a large girl (not a bantam and weighed a good 6 lbs).

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  2. heather112588

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    anyone? ello? ...crickets [​IMG]

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Any number of things could have gotten her during the day.

Are you hens laying eggs? If they are, she might have started a nest somwhere.

~ Aspen

4. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Sounds like coyote or fox. Both are active during the day, but so true, lots of preds out there so it's hard to say what took her. Sorry about your hen. Maybe she'll show up.

5. heather112588

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    Yes, She is laying age but i doubt the nest thing being plausible...she wasn't even showing signs if there was another nest or if she wanted to go broody. She is gilda's #1 girl and is always normally by his side or there at his beckon call...he crowed his heart out all evening and nothing. [​IMG]

6. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    I have lost 6-7 pound hens to hawks. Except that they left a few feathers. And that's all they left. However, for the next two weeks, we were the first stop in the morning as they went hunting.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  7. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Sounds like a fox to me

8. heather112588

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    Well our case was finally solved...our closest neighbor (who lives about 1/4 mile away) said one of her dogs got out and brought her a present. She had tried coming to our house to tell us but we were not home. She then sent a card, apolizing and asking if she could do anything to redemy the situation (which i thought was very classy). I called back today and asked for nothing, just thanked her for letting us know and her offer.

Needless to say, we were currently in the process of fencing in a free ranging area instead of just letting them roam around our 6 acre front yard. We finished it yesterday (day after it happened)...what are the odds [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

You have a good neighbor. Sorry about your hen.

10. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    OH, that was really nice of your neighbor to come and tell you......So sorry you lost your hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by