Missing hen.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by hunter1hall, Nov 19, 2009.

1. hunter1hall

hunter1hall Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Mackville, Kentucky
    Ok, got home yesterday and all my turkeys are gone....all ten of em. I wistled and heard one gobble way off. I finally found them and walked them back home, however, one hen was missing. I dont think she would have wondered off without the rest. My question is could she be nesting somewhere nearby? She bred the night before,(it was the first time I had witnessed her breed, she is only about 8 months old). I was curious if that is a possibility. My flock has 3 gobblers and 7 hens.

2. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    If you are in Kentucky and the weather is cold, it IS surprising that the hen would lay a nest at this time of year. However, if she bred recently, it's quite possible. Usually, the hen will try to sneak off from the others to make a nest, but if they see her go one direction, that often happens, where the whole group follows one hen.

Look around the area where the others were and she's probably found a good hiding spot there. (look under piles of brush or clumps of tall grass). Mine hide REALLY well!

Glad you found the whole group!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  3. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Glad you found the rest! Hope you find her soon! How did you pick your name? Thats my grandsons name! Minus the #1

4. hunter1hall

hunter1hall Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Mackville, Kentucky
    Quote:Thats my sons name, minus the #1.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by