Missing his/her mate

beefeelinhappy

In the Brooder
Feb 4, 2016
San Antonio
They were together for 5 plus years. The White one was killed by a dog. I befriended this one. I call it she. She seems to be doing well.
I would like to know if it's male or female.
I also don't know about her body language!
I definitely know when it's being aggressive! Running at the target with her head down and lots of honking!
But what about when I go to her pond and she comes to me with her head straight up?
We both get comfortable after a minute and stay near each other. She talks to me softly and eats grass.
She has actually been the one to pursue physical closeness!
Any advice and knowledge is welcome

They were together for 5 plus years. The White one was killed by a dog. I befriended this one. I call it she. She seems to be doing well.
I would like to know if it's male or female.
I also don't know about her body language!
I definitely know when it's being aggressive! Running at the target with her head down and lots of honking!
But what about when I go to her pond and she comes to me with her head straight up?
We both get comfortable after a minute and stay near each other. She talks to me softly and eats grass.
She has actually been the one to pursue physical closeness!
Any advice and knowledge is welcome
I believe it's a gander by the way it's standing and from how you say it is acting. You say you befriended it can you bring her home so she will be safe and secure with house and fence? There are alot of predators just waiting for a chance at goose dinner. Very sad about it's mate. Love the caption

Welcome to BYC @beefeelinhapoy

Last edited:
Thanks. I live in a little trailer community. There is a pond on the property. The birds just ended up here. They don't even belong to the property owners! I happen to live across the street from the pond. I help my parents. This is their home.If I had it my way "BB" (I just named it today) would chill on my porch. I am always out there. But my mom wouldn't go for it!
I don't think the management wants to get involved. Although they did make the dog that killed its buddy move out.
I think I could train BB to go into a pen at night. I think she would find it comforting. But I have to talk to management here.
Please keep up the ideas!

He came and sat right beside me today! He let me pet him! In the five or more years he has lived here no one has ever done that! I really should have grown up on a farm!

He came and sat right beside me today! He let me pet him! In the five or more years he has lived here no one has ever done that! I really should have grown up on a farm!
He is very lonely in fact he may begin to look to you as a mate which be prepared for him wanting to show more than casual attention. I wish you could have him a safe place and get him a mate. It is so sweet of you to care. They a wonderful birds and I'd say since he is a domestic and not wild him and his mate are what we call dumptees throw aways. Very sad but it's all over people buy cute ducklings and goslings for say Easter then once they start growing out of their little adorable stage it's off to a pond somewhere to fend for themselves. Alot don't make it.

Oh, that's sad. The other neighbor feeds him.
One lady walking by said they were both males. That's why there were no eggs.
Another young lady said the white one that was killed was from an egg that she hatched!
No one really knows.
We have a Bob cat and wild dogs/coyotes that come up from the woods behind the pond. He is really not safe.
He is definitely lonely! I feel so bad for him at night! He tells me all about it in the mornings!
We definitely need a pen!
I thought he had to have the pond to survive! But we can put up a little fenced in area to keep him safe at night.
The ducks have welcomed him to hang out with them during the day!
Just the night times are bad.

Oh, that's sad. The other neighbor feeds him.
One lady walking by said they were both males. That's why there were no eggs.
Another young lady said the white one that was killed was from an egg that she hatched!
No one really knows.
We have a Bob cat and wild dogs/coyotes that come up from the woods behind the pond. He is really not safe.
He is definitely lonely! I feel so bad for him at night! He tells me all about it in the mornings!
We definitely need a pen!
I thought he had to have the pond to survive! But we can put up a little fenced in area to keep him safe at night.
The ducks have welcomed him to hang out with them during the day!
Just the night times are bad.
They really don't need a pond although they are easy to train so if you set him up with a nice pen and house/shed he would probably use the pond daily and come home with you at night My geese only have a large kiddy pool and they love it. Making sure he gets put away safely at night is very important alot of predators are good swimmers and most domestic geese and ducks don't fly so they have no way to escape. They could have easily been both ganders they will buddy up and be best pals as long as their aren't any female geese to cause problems that's when ganders usually fight over females just like most any other animal .Ganders do make wonderful papa geese too both parents are very involved with their goslings. And very protective too.

The goose has been hanging out with the ducks all day. The ducks used to spend their time separate from each other. Now the goose is surrounded with them. The neighbor counted 10 ducks.
He comes to my house in the evening. Today, my neighbors and my mom came out and chatted. BB came over and hung out! Later a lady that has lived here for 5years came to walk her dog. BB got close to her and let her pet him! They have been talking to each other for all these years, but finally got close tonight.
He is very lonely at night. I went and sat by the pond with him till he calmed down.

The goose has been hanging out with the ducks all day. The ducks used to spend their time separate from each other. Now the goose is surrounded with them. The neighbor counted 10 ducks.
He comes to my house in the evening. Today, my neighbors and my mom came out and chatted. BB came over and hung out! Later a lady that has lived here for 5years came to walk her dog. BB got close to her and let her pet him! They have been talking to each other for all these years, but finally got close tonight.
He is very lonely at night. I went and sat by the pond with him till he calmed down.
Poor thing I'm glad your there for him. Geese mate for life even if not opposite sex they still have strong bonds and can grieve themselves to death. Sounds like you have people there who care about BB including you that hopefully will help him. My worry is feeding him right and predators. Alot of people feed white stale bread to water fowl which is really bad for them. He needs lots of grass for grazing and a wholesome diet of water fowl feed or feed for all poultry to supplement especially in winter. and a little snack of corn if cold in winter. Geese can live as long as 40 yrs if cared for.

Last edited:
He has lots of grass! The neighbor feeds him a corn/grain mixture. Not sure what it is! I will tell the other neighbor that feeds him bread that it's not good for him. I will check into other feed! There is a feed store right up the road.
Housing, there is the problem. I live in a trailer park. I don't know if the management will provide a pen. I personally can't afford it. I am pretty sure they will allow it to be built on the property as long as they don't have to be responsible for it.
I plan on discussing it with them next week.
Thank you for helping me out!@miss lydia

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom