missing, isolated patch of feathers--not growing back

krisalope

Hatching
Nov 20, 2020
Hello all. I am a new chicken owner with a flock of 19 of varying breeds. All chickens are about 7 months old. Presently I have two chickens with bare patches at the base of their tail feathers. It started a few months ago with a rooster (Buckeye). As there were no indications of serious sickness or injury (no bleeding, no indication of pecking, no evidence of problems based on his behavior or his poop), I let it go. Two months later, his bare patch still doesn't appear to be filling in. This week, a speckled sussex has developed a bare patch in the same place. Here is what it looks like:
lizzie 1.jpg
lizzie 2.jpg

All seem to be the appropriate weight for their age. No strange behavior. No other birds with a similar issue. No bleeding or evidence of injury. No known source of potential trauma. Both birds appear to be eating and drinking well. Poop appears normal. I have not administered any treatment, but decided this week to up the the protein in their diet a bit (they eat organic pellets with occasional treats of scratch feed, meal worms, and leftover veggies). They are currently house in a coop that is too small for them in the long run, but will move into a larger coop (if all goes well this weekend) by next week. There is, however, adequate roost space for them to all have space. I use pine shavings for their bedding. We live in the northeast and it has been somewhat rainy, but the run and coop are very dry. They all have access to places to dust bathe. I would appreciate any suggestions about how to proceed. Should I continue to wait and see? Should I be more proactive? Can I take care of it myself or do I need some help with this? I really love these chickens and want to be sure I am keeping them as healthy as possible! I would deeply appreciate any advice the community has.

Last edited:
Hello all. I am a new chicken owner with a flock of 19 of varying breeds. All chickens are about 7 months old. Presently I have two chickens with bare patches at the base of their tail feathers. It started a few months ago with a rooster (Buckeye). As there were no indications of serious sickness or injury (no bleeding, no indication of pecking, no evidence of problems based on his behavior or his poop), I let it go. Two months later, his bare patch still doesn't appear to be filling in. This week, a speckled sussex has developed a bare patch in the same place. Here is what it looks like:
View attachment 2418805 View attachment 2418806

All seem to be the appropriate weight for their age. No strange behavior. No other birds with a similar issue. No bleeding or evidence of injury. No known source of potential trauma. Both birds appear to be eating and drinking well. Poop appears normal. I have not administered any treatment, but decided this week to up the the protein in their diet a bit (they eat organic pellets with occasional treats of scratch feed, meal worms, and leftover veggies). They are currently house in a coop that is too small for them in the long run, but will move into a larger coop (if all goes well this weekend) by next week. There is, however, adequate roost space for them to all have space. I use pine shavings for their bedding. We live in the northeast and it has been somewhat rainy, but the run and coop are very dry. They all have access to places to dust bathe. I would appreciate any suggestions about how to proceed. Should I continue to wait and see? Should I be more proactive? Can I take care of it myself or do I need some help with this? I really love these chickens and want to be sure I am keeping them as healthy as possible! I would deeply appreciate any advice the community has.
The cockerel most likely has caused the wear on the back of the SS. The feathers won't come back until she molts.
Can you post pictures of the area of missing feathers on the cockerel?

Here is a photo of the patch on the rooster:

Attachments

• 506E871A-2086-4A89-A974-A435B7E30808.jpeg
    506E871A-2086-4A89-A974-A435B7E30808.jpeg
    346.9 KB · Views: 4
  • CC409287-5E37-4CF4-BD68-5ABF24EF94D7.jpeg
    CC409287-5E37-4CF4-BD68-5ABF24EF94D7.jpeg
    351.7 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom