Missing leg feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nariah01, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Nariah01

Nariah01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2016
    So I noticed the other day that my lovely little Salmon Faverolles was missing most if not all of her leg feathers, which was new to me as she has always had nice leg feathers. I checked her legs and didn't notice anything abnormal or any signs of mites. Well today my husband brought her up to the house because on one of her feet she had some dried blood around the last few feathers she had on that one foot, all that's left around the bloody spot are the quills. I am wondering if there is something I can do, I suspect its either her or someone else in my flock plucking her leg feathers out, but I am not sure what to do about it. Just looking for ideas, hoping I can figure this out and take care of it because I really like my little girl and it would be nice to keep her healthy with all her feathers.

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Sounds like picking. I'd recommend applying an anti-picking solution such as Pick-No-More and trying to determine who the main aggressor(s) are; once you know who is doing it, put them in solitary confinement for 1-2 weeks and reintroduce quickly with no precautions.

3. Nariah01

Nariah01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2016
    Thanks for the reply, I will pick up some anti-pick solution, do you have a recommended one or are they all pretty much equal? I am not sure how I'll figure out whose doing it because I have never seen anyone actually doing it, and I don't have a way to set up a camera for when I am not out there with them. She is not low on the pecking order or anything either. By the way totally off topic but I love your avatar, supernatural is a fav. show of mine.

4. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Personally I prefer Pick-No-More. BluKote is regarded as equally useful but has somewhat harsher ingredients and since it works just as well, I prefer the slightly gentler option.

Haha! Isn't it great? I'm pretty excited for the new season!

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I'm not disagreeing with the advice that you have been given, but feather pecking is usually a displacement behaviour, i.e. the chicken in question is frustrated at not being able to perform an instinctive, natural act or is stressed in some way. It might be a good idea to look into natural chicken behaviour and ensure that you have set-up that accommodates these needs and hopefully that will ameliorate future feather pecking behaviour (along with the remedial measures suggested). At the end of the day, even if it fails, you know that you have provided the best environment possible for your chickens and that can't be a bad thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by