1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Missing Muscovy Hen!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by MakNat, Jan 24, 2009.

1. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    Do hens start sitting this time of year? Would I be able to find her nest? How does the drake act? Can a hawk or owl carry a duck? Is it like she just disappears? Did a air predator take my hen?
    Heres the story, my pair of muscovys live with my chickens. They go in a coop at night. The coop is in a fenced yard. Most of then have cut wings ( which I have mixed feelings about ) so only a few fly out in the mornings before I get out in the am. They free range all day in the barn yard. My dogs keep every thing away. Even predator birds. I ran the hen into the pen last night about dark. The drake was already roosting. This am a few chickens were out as well as the drake. No hen. I had to leave all day. Hopefully thinking she would be back this pm. No hen. I talk to the animals. The drake was walking out of the barn with me looking up at the sky. When he was going in for the night he was attacking my oldest, broodest chicken hen. I tried to catch him to calm him down. I could slowly pet both of the muscovys nightly, before tonight. He freaked...
    I think they flew up on the fence, like they do every am and some bird from the sky swooped down and got her. Does that sound feasible? It sucks and I am ticked. My drake is way more ticked. Its no like I can go to the store and get him a girlfriend. I need to know how to deal with this situation. For him and myself. I haven't lost a bird due to hawks or whatever, since the summer. They took a few little tiny chicks. Whatever, Is my drake going to torture my chicken hens? Should I cage him? That is not fair. Maybe hes heartbroken. I know I am. I raised those babys since July. She was getting brooding I think. They were breeding. I'm going to scream now.. Thanks for reading!

2. Fresh Eggs

Fresh Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    If there is no feathers, then no killer got her. If you've seen a hawk catch a duck or goose, it is like an explosion! Especially with those downy feathers. Dont worry,look tomorrow around the yard etc. she is probaly brooding in a secluded space. Muscovies are stubborn when brooding, they usually dont leave the nest most of the day.

3. MakNat

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    No I think she died, there is a tiny little bit of feathers on my hitching post where she sits in the wee am. What should I do with the drake??? I LOVE HIM!??

4. Fresh Eggs

Jan 1, 2009
    Ok,

If you know, Muscovies are very deep set on living with a partner. They will go into a depression for awhile, and then be back to normal, sometimes not always the same. If you want another ' scovie check on www.DuckRescueNetwork.com. They usually have scovies that need a great home. And if u get one, put her in a pen beside him so he can get used to the newcomer.

Best of Luck,[​IMG]

Fresh Eggs

5. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    So sorry for your hen, but hopefully she is still alive and shows up. *hugs* Poor drake [​IMG]

6. ole-crone

ole-crone Chillin' With My Peeps

We have a muscovy hen that will hide when she's broody. I mean hide!

We have one nesting box in a chicken coop that is made out of an old entertainment center. There is a maybe 3 inch gap to the floor. She's climb under there and start building nests. The only reason we know she is there - if you get too close you'll hear her hiss.

Look around your yard. She could be squeezed under something you'd think she is too big to get under.

I really doubt that something from the sky flew off with her. Think about how hard it would be to carry that duck especially with her fighting back. The feathers you found could be from him pulling on her if they've been breeding.

If she can jump up and roost, can she fly? If she can fly she might have jumped a fence to find a quiet place to start laying her eggs.

7. MakNat

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    Its been over 24 hours now. Still no hen. I've looked everywhere.
    The drake seems more content this morning. But lonely of course.
    I think I'm going to take a drive up the road today where I bought some chickens awhile back. They have ducks for sale. It is sunday, does that seem weird?? I don't want to come of as a stalker, but my little buddy needs a mate?.. Even if she is sitting, she is dumb, because her eggs would be frozen and busted. Surely ducks are smarter than that.. I'm so ticked, I want to sit in my yard with a gun and blow them out of the sky. And if they got a meal like that, they'll only be back for more. Should I clip his wings??

8. Fresh Eggs

Jan 1, 2009
    Ok, do not put another duck with him right away. Put her in an area beside him so he can get used to the new duckie.If you just put it in with him, he could kill her. I would not be too concerned about flying.Even if he did fly he would most likely come back. Or he could be to FAT to fly.

9. MakNat

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    Thanks! I'm calmed down since this all happened. I won't jump the gun. I do have a big wire dog cage that will be perfect for the new duck. Which I will give some time. Thanks for that input. I would've just put her out with him. I love BYC!! I learn something every time I'm on!!!

10. Fresh Eggs

Jan 1, 2009
    Your very welcome,

Best wishes for the Drake and or hen to be [​IMG]!!

Fresh Eggs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by