1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Missing Neck Feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hawkeyext, Nov 28, 2016.

1. hawkeyext

hawkeyext Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2016
    New York
    Hello,

I have one chicken in a flock of 33 that has missing neck feathers. I read in a few other threads that the culprit could be pecking (boredom/aggression), lice/mites, or molting. With this photo can anyone tell which it is?

She's a golden comet, and they free-range all day. We feed them Blue Seal organic layer pellets. She's almost a year old. The others all seem fine. We did have a lice issue with at least one a few weeks ago and used permethrin dust on all the chicks, their bath areas, and the coop.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you.

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She is molting - see the little pin feathers starting to appear?

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Looks like normal molting to me.

4. mattscoop

mattscoop Just Hatched

Nov 21, 2016
  5. Fluffers

Fluffers Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, she is molting. This is normal for chickens, they will lose their feathers in fall, growing back new ones for winter. See those little toothpick like things coming from her neck? Those are new feathers. They will push out and get bigger.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by