Missing neck Feathers

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by phoenix0326, Apr 12, 2017.

1. phoenix0326

phoenix0326 Just Hatched

Sep 20, 2016
    western washington
    Hi everyone,
    I have a flock of 10 (2 drakes). It includes one khaki campbell, 4 blue swedish, and 5 Cayugas. The drakes are both Blue swedish. Recently I have noticed some of the cayugas missing feathers on the back of their neck. I mean like I see patches of just skin. Is this just the Blue swedish drakes being particularly randy with those girls? Or should I be worried? We also have 3 hens and a rooster but they don't seem to be bothering the ducks. Does anyone know what the ratio of males to females should be for blue swedish? I thought the 4-5/drake would be ok, but I'm starting to wonder. I didn't think they'd "molt" that much in one area at once.

2. Abraeri

Abraeri Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2017
    My ducks have been doing this too. From what I've read it seems to be since this is mating season. I have 2 drakes to 8 females. 4 females are White Layers, and it is really evident that all their neck feather are being pulled out since it is red on their necks. I haven't separated them yet. Hopefully someone with more experience can answer this question since I'm a new duck owner too! :)

3. Vyctoria

Vyctoria Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2016
    Finger Lakes, NY
    This can often happen from breeding, especially with a bigger drake like a Swedish. Your ratio sound good, but unfortunately some drakes will pick favorites and target specific hens. It's just a matter of keeping an eye on them to make sure those particular girls aren't getting harmed. Sometimes it can lead to bloody necks and hurt legs from the weight, so you may find that they need to be separated during breeding season.

1 person likes this.
  4. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

You have two Drakes and eight Hens....The ratio could be the issue ...Drakes do not care during mating season..Randy Drakes if they both are in with the Hens compete to breed the Hens..What is happening is they are targeting those Hens and could possibly injure them....I would separate them into two flocks during the breeding season....I have all my Drakes and their Hens in separate breeding pens...:)

Best of luck..:)

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  5. phoenix0326

phoenix0326 Just Hatched

Sep 20, 2016
    western washington
    Thank you!! I will keep an eye out for limping/hurt legs too. So far nothing but the missing feathers, but I worry that if they keep trying to hold where there are no feathers, that they will eventually hurt the girls.

6. phoenix0326

phoenix0326 Just Hatched

Sep 20, 2016
    western washington
    Is there a way to separate based on their mating preference? or just separate 4 hens per drake? Or would it be better to just separate the drakes from the hens at night? It's a very large yard where they are loose during the day. Not sure that matters?

7. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

You pick..;)....Drakes do not care what Hens they have..:).......No....You will end up with very Randy Drakes in the morning ..;)....

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by