Missing Neck Feathers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mylilchix, Jan 4, 2009.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

I noticed a little bit ago that one of my faverolles and my blue cochin roo are missing neck feathers. My poor faverolle barely has anything left around her neck. What could be causing this? I'm guessing pecking at this point.
    Thanks,
    Sonja

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    How old are they Sonja?
    My guess, especially when you notice the neck feathers missing first in both a hen and a roo, is moulting.

3. HSmamma

HSmamma Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2008
    My EE also has missing neck feathers. She just came out of a molt but sits there and lets the other birds peck off the feathers. She just sits there. I'm wondering if it feels good. I checked for lice and bugs and such but nothing. They have plenty of room, no stress etc.

I really think the birds are just grooming each other. It's not done maliciously. My BO cocks her head and looks to see which feathers to pluck out of the EE. It's really quite funny and the EE doesn't seem to mind (except she is not very pretty without the feathers) but started laying eggs yesterday so I guess is ok.

-hsmamma

4. mylilchix

They're both 6 months old. I don't suspect mites. I noticed it in the roo a few days ago. I thought with him it may be from being pecked by the hens. They don't enjoy his advances sometimes. I'm not sure what happened with the faverolle. They're both eating and drinking normally. So far no one else has a bare neck. I checked everyone else tonight.

Sonja

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Sounds a little young for moulting, but I'm not sure. Sixteen of my chickens (out of 18 total) went thru a moult in the 7 to 8 month range. On some it was barely noticeable, on two it was very noticeable.
    If it is a moult if you look closely you'll see the new feathers coming in. They'll be encased in a sheath closer to the skin.

6. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    When my girls got old enough for the roos to start doing their thing, a few of the pullets started missing neck feathers. The roo holds on to neck feathers when he gets on her, and some inevitably get pulled out. I'm not noticing the missing neck feathers so much anymore, and I'm hoping the boys are just perfecting their technique.

Why your roo is missing neck feathers, tho, is a mystery to me. Best of luck figuring it out!

7. mylilchix

They're probably more like 6.5 months now. Closer to the 7th month side. The feathers that are missing are the front ones, right under their beaks. My more faverolle has most of her muff gone at this point. Could this still be an early moult or something else?
    Sonja

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by