1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

missing neck feathers?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by StarryEyzz, Sep 14, 2012.

1. StarryEyzz

StarryEyzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2012
    Granite Falls, WA
    I have 5 pullets. The Russian Orloff and the EE both have this area, under their beak, in neck area....that the feathers/skin seems really loose and appears some feathers are missing. The other three are totally fine.

any ideas/

2. BethChick78

BethChick78 Out Of The Brooder

How old are they exactly?

3. StarryEyzz

Apr 9, 2012
    Granite Falls, WA
    They are 5-6 months.

4. terryg

terryg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    New England
    I had a very good laying hen that lost her feathers on her neck like that. It was always a sign that she was laying. After molt they'd all grow back in, then she'd lose them again. But, look for other causes. Are the hens rubbing the feathers off putting their heads through a fence? Is there sign of irritation?
    I have a a FAQ about feather loss with photos. Maybe you'll recognize something:
    http://hencam.com/faq/bare-butts-feather-loss-and-feather-picking/

5. StarryEyzz

Apr 9, 2012
    Granite Falls, WA
    Thank you! They do reach their little necks through the fence. I bet that is it. And those two are the ones that always do it so it makes the most sense.

:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by