Missing neck feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenLizard, Mar 18, 2013.

1. ChickenLizard

ChickenLizard New Egg

Nov 21, 2012
    Hello all. I have a small mixed flock - 3 Wyandottes, 2 Partridge Rocks, a New Hampshire Red, and Jersey Giant. They are all the same age (hatched April 2011) and have been doing generally well. This is my first foray into raising chickens.

The Jersey Giant had a partial molt last fall. The feathers on the body came back, but the front of the neck stayed bare as we went into winter. I saw some new pin feathers emerging over the winter, but they later disappeared. In the past few weeks, she's lost even more neck feathers; she's now bare around the entire circumference. There are no scabs or dried blood, and I haven't seen any of the other girls picking at her. The skin of her neck is sometimes reddish, sometimes pale pink.

Does this sound like lice? Feather picking? Slow recovery from the molt? Something missing from the diet? Any thoughts on what I should do?

The other 6 hens are all fully feathered. All are fed organic layer pellets ad lib, have daily access to a large enclosed yard, and get supplemental light to extend the day. For the cold nights (<25 F) I add supplemental heat.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

-Matt

2. ChickenLizard

ChickenLizard New Egg

Nov 21, 2012
    New BYCer still looking for advice on neck feathers! If you have experience with this problem, please reply!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by