Missing patch of feathers on back

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Candra Carter, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Candra Carter

Candra Carter New Egg

Feb 15, 2014
    10 out of my 17 chickens have a patch of missing features on their back. Could it just be from mating or a disease? I have one rooster in the coop. I was just wondering if anyone knew what they may have. [​IMG]

2. PirocaKeeper

PirocaKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2014
    Western Massachussetts
    Looks like mating to me. Sometimes roosters are quite too much on the hens. Some of them over mate them and damage their feathers. They will grow back though nice and pretty again. Is your rooster a young rooster? Say between 8 months and 1.5 year? They can be quite persistent with the girls.

3. Candra Carter

Candra Carter New Egg

Feb 15, 2014
    The rooster is just over 2 years old, and he has missing feathers on his back too.

4. PirocaKeeper

PirocaKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2014
    Western Massachussetts
    Umm! You may need to do a little investigative work. Here is a very good link to reasons why feathers can be missing on a chicken.

http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/reasons-for-missing-feathers-in.html

Mine have looked that way, but I have 4 roosters and mine went their 18 months massive molt. Lasted for months. It was really drastic late fall, now that all have their feathers and look brand new.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by