Missing peafowl

littlemonstir

Songster
Oct 17, 2014
Florida
My 3 peafowl are missing! They never leave the farm and always come in at night. They have been gone 2 days now! Is this normal for peafowl to wander off? They usually come when I call
1f630.png
I'm hoping if someone comes across them the will find this. Help!

My 3 peafowl are missing! They never leave the farm and always come in at night. They have been gone 2 days now! Is this normal for peafowl to wander off? They usually come when I call
1f630.png
I'm hoping if someone comes across them the will find this. Help!

Sorry to hear your Peas are missing. It is breeding season, do you have males and females? If so the hens may have made nests somewhere and have eggs, if they are not coming home a male may decide to stick with them. If they are all the same sex, they may be off looking for mates. Hope you find them safe and sound.

I have/had one male and two females. I hope they are just nesting somewhere but it's not like them to leave their "safe zone". Thank you for the advice.

I have/had one male and two females. I hope they are just nesting somewhere but it's not like them to leave their "safe zone". Thank you for the advice.

Don't give up yet, on occasion back when I used to free range I would have one turn up missing. I would go out early in the morning or later in the evening before sunset and just listen, it is usually quiet and I would sometimes hear the males call, so I knew they were still in the vicinity. You could also try honking a car horn at those times, mine will always holler back at a car horn.

My hens have nested right in my garden under my nose, or tucked into corners around the foundation of the house(good protection) and I've never seen them- even when I've walked right by them daily. They are wonderfully camouflage that way. Hoping that's the case. Good luck. Though, when they leave the nest for a food or water break my hen will often make a terrible racguet, sq
Sqwauking like she's been attacked- then walk around honking the whole time she's eating- in order to draw attention away from the location of the nest.

I really hope that they are just nesting. Ive been listening and calling for them everyday (it's been 4 days).
1f62a.png
They have never missed feeding time. If they are nesting somewhere do they usually come back after baby hatches? I'm on 15acres and surrounded by woods but white peacocks are usually easy to see.

I really hope that they are just nesting. Ive been listening and calling for them everyday (it's been 4 days).
1f62a.png
They have never missed feeding time. If they are nesting somewhere do they usually come back after baby hatches? I'm on 15acres and surrounded by woods but white peacocks are usually easy to see.
If they are white, they are probably hiding extra well, since their camouflage is compromised- or you should be looking for areas where a white bird Would be camouflaged.
My birds given a choice have started walking around with their chicks after about 3 days- weather permitting,(maybe yours would come home then) One year, I located the nest prior to the hatch,watched the hatch (6 chicks)and then discovered that a raccoon actually stole a chick right out from under the mother the night after they hatched! Probably because the scent given off by the newly hatched eggs gave away the nests location- So, the second night, we caught her and the chicks(waited till dark, so she was less apt to fly) and moved her into the pen. She was surprisingly happy with that arrangement, and even though she started free ranging the chicks after a few days, she would bring them back to the pen to get locked in at night. The following year she nested in the pen and every thing went well. But, last year- because a raccoon had hidden inside the pen- she decided to start nesting out on the hill again- something attacked her in the middle of the night- she was okay-she flew Sqwauking away- so I tried moving her and the nest into the pen the next day-in the light of day- that did not go so well. Don't know if it was because I was moving her eggs- or if it was because it was day time- but she never went back to her nest again. Theis year- Now, she's nesting inside the hen house by her own choice! Guess, she prefers safety over raccoons!

Well, that's how I had mine trained or so I thought. They would come into the barn at night or when they wanted to nap. I'm somewhat releaved that they could just be nesting but we have tons of predators(raccoons, fox, skunk, bald eagles, hawks, and the occasional stray dogs). Do you think I should put up signs just incase they ended up on someone else property? I wish they would just make some noise so I know they are okay.
Thank you all for your support and advice. It really helps when your a worried peamom.

Well, that's how I had mine trained or so I thought. They would come into the barn at night or when they wanted to nap. I'm somewhat releaved that they could just be nesting but we have tons of predators(raccoons, fox, skunk, bald eagles, hawks, and the occasional stray dogs). Do you think I should put up signs just incase they ended up on someone else property? I wish they would just make some noise so I know they are okay.
Thank you all for your support and advice. It really helps when your a worried peamom.
I would definetely put up signs and call the local police as if it was a missing dog, and do what ever you can. I did that one year- and ended up in the news paper because the local paper saw the sign posted on my mail box and decided to do a human interest story. So between the posters all over town, police blotter reports, animal control, news paper article etc- it was just by word of mouth that a woman down the road heard about my missing birds and called to say she had them- they had moved into her hen house and were living happily with her chickens. I got them safely home- and now band them with my Telephone number.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom