Missing RIR, they're free range.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by LillianMae, Jul 31, 2013.

1. LillianMae

LillianMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Oregon
    So I have seven free range chickens, this after noon I was checking for eggs and caught my Blue Andalusian beating up my RIR female. Her comb had a little blood on it, and looked discolored and splotchy. I shooed the BA away and then checked my RIR out. She looked like she was dead, as if in shock, then she was fine. When I first went outside I heard an owl hooing. A few minutes later I went back down to the barn to check on her again. No sign of her. I checked and she wasn't with any of my other girls, like she'd...disappeared. I figured she had just gone alone like they sometimes do. I went out to dinner with my family. I got back at about eight thirty, went to put my chickens in the barn. Only six chickens were there. No sign of Copper. I searched everywhere and didn't find feathers or any sign of her, just little trails, but they could have been from any of the girls. Any idea what could have done this? I didn't think owls struck during the day. Will this predator strike again? Is it possible that she died from shock from my BA? Did she maybe lay and egg (she was already laying) and decide to hide? I need answers fast please, thanks.

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not really sure but I've had something similar happen to me, my silver laced wyandotte one day just disappeared and never came back. I also couldn't find any traces but since my chickens wander far from home it could be any kind of predator. But, once when I was away I let a friend (who also had chickens) take care of my chickens. A few days later as I was told my buff orpington Butter ran away ( my friend thought she had seen a fox chasing after her) and didn't come back to the coop to roost. The next day when the chickens were let out of the coop, unexpectedly Butter burst out of the forest to join them

1 person likes this.
  3. hrhta812

hrhta812 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Lebanon, IN
    You may get lucky and have her show up. When we started losing birds recently, my oldest RIR hen managed to sneak off to find her own night spot a few nights - scared me half to death, too. Sadly, though, it's more likely that she is gone. The scent of blood on her probably attracted a predator, like a fox or even coyote. If you can, get a game camera which you can set up, even for night pics, to see what is coming around your area. The one we have is motion activated, and it has helped us immensely, letting us see what we're up against.

I hope your girl shows up. Best wishes!

4. LillianMae

LillianMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Oregon
    Found her in an old feed box by the barn this morning. There is something wrong, not an injury. Please go to my thread, RIR-Emergency.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by