Missing rooster

Whattheflock76

In the Brooder
Sep 27, 2021
My rooster has been missing since yesterday morning. He did not come back to the coop last night and we have searched for him all day. They free range during the day and usually stay close together- they are always in the coop by 7pm sharp. He is a young bird, started crowing earlier this month and recently has started mounting the hens. No signs of predators, no feathers or carnage.
Wondering if he will come back- how long can he be out on his own? How far could he have roamed? We live in the country and surrounded by lots of acres. Some neighbors have/ had coops snd flocks- could he have joined them? It was raining today- he might be hiding out and return tomorrow when the weather is better? Is this common behavior? He was a nice rooster, not too aggressive and starting to be friendly with my kids. The hens are acting normal for the most part- not scared but maybe a little hesitant (and following me around everywhere).
Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Attachments

• A32F73B8-8DC6-4BED-A46F-D3700C00E37E.jpeg
    A32F73B8-8DC6-4BED-A46F-D3700C00E37E.jpeg
    525.6 KB · Views: 32
  • EBE6F338-0965-4BE2-830B-DD9FF19146D2.jpeg
    EBE6F338-0965-4BE2-830B-DD9FF19146D2.jpeg
    373.6 KB · Views: 4
I am sorry he is missing. It is likely something happened to him. I have a similar setup that you describe, and they don't just not return willingly. The only hope is if maybe he is hiding somewhere around your coop that you may have missed during the headcount. I often write one off as a goner, only to realize i didnt look hard enough in their sleep quarters

My rooster has been missing since yesterday morning. He did not come back to the coop last night and we have searched for him all day. They free range during the day and usually stay close together- they are always in the coop by 7pm sharp. He is a young bird, started crowing earlier this month and recently has started mounting the hens. No signs of predators, no feathers or carnage.
Wondering if he will come back- how long can he be out on his own? How far could he have roamed? We live in the country and surrounded by lots of acres. Some neighbors have/ had coops snd flocks- could he have joined them? It was raining today- he might be hiding out and return tomorrow when the weather is better? Is this common behavior? He was a nice rooster, not too aggressive and starting to be friendly with my kids. The hens are acting normal for the most part- not scared but maybe a little hesitant (and following me around everywhere).
Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
Chickens, especially roosters don’t run away the same way a dog or cat would. It’s likely a predator got him since a rooster would be willing to go after it while the hens would hide. I’m so sorry to hear about him, I know how it feels. I lost 4 of my chickens to a fox recently: a silkie rooster, a RIR pullet, a RIR cockerel and a 10 week old silkie chick 😕 Same setup, free range during the day in the yard and acreage of forest surrounding and they were always very good at staying by the coop when it started getting dark. The fox came and took my cockerel in the evening and the other three around noon, 10 days later. Sorry for your loss, I hope you do end up finding him. He’s a gorgeous little bird!

I understand that roosters do not usually leave the flock. However, On Saturday during the day I notice he was not with the flock for a good portion of the day but then he returned in the evening. Sunday evening he did not return and again tonight he is missing. That is why I think he wandered off. But now I feel something may have gotten him, or he’s hiding. Really hoping he’ll return tomorrow. 🙏🏻

Back
Top Bottom