Missing Runner Duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Emily Rose, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Emily Rose

Emily Rose New Egg

Oct 8, 2012
    Yesterday when I got home my duck Calvin was gone... [​IMG] I am SO Sad and desperate to find him. He never leaves the yard except to occasionally go to my neighbors yard. It's been getting in the 30's at night but he stays inside at night. It was a clear sunny day when he disappeared while I was at church. Any suggestions?? My heart is broken...

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] Was he in a fenced in area when you left? if not a predator may have taken him. I'm sorry to be so blunt but if we leave them with out protection things do happen. Have you asked around to your neighbors? I know Runners can't fly but he may have walked off, do you have other ducks besides calvin?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  3. Emily Rose

Emily Rose New Egg

Oct 8, 2012
    I have asked all our neighbors and put the alert out. He was not fenced in... :( He is my only duck.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thats to bad, and I am very sorry but It is not a good idea to leave a duck that can't possibly defend it self against animal or human without protection. Even if we think there aren't predators, there are and they are just waitng for the opportunity to get to our pets whether they be dog,cat or duck. I hope you find him. Again I am very sorry. [​IMG] how old?

1 person likes this.
  5. fowl farm

fowl farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2012
    Same thing happened to me. Came home from church and we were short a duck. Stupid fox.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Very sorry fowl farm. [​IMG]

7. Emily Rose

Emily Rose New Egg

Oct 8, 2012
    What is the best way to protect them fence wise? A fox would get him during daylight??

8. fowl farm

fowl farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2012
    Yes. Unfortunately they do. So unfair.

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Even a dog running lose would take a duck unprotected. a good sturdy welded wire or poultry netting the kind from Premier 1 that is hot wired. a wooden fence anything that keeps him in and the preds out. But your best bet of protection would be to keep him confined in his pen an run when you can't watch him even inside a fenced in area some preds can still climb and get in. Being alone makes him very vunerable.

10. Emily Rose

Emily Rose New Egg

Oct 8, 2012
    Oh my... I am so new at this. I feel terrible... thanks for the input. I'll be sure to take the right precautions for the future. The ducks are better off as a small herd then? I am in the process of getting my own house and had plans to get more once I moved. Can you recommend where to get more runners? I loved him SO MUCH!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by