Missing the head only

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Mrs. K, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Is that a mink or a weasel?

2. A_Fowl_Guy

A_Fowl_Guy Wildlife Biologist

Jan 29, 2019
    Newberry, Indiana
    It could be a lot of things. From the weasel family to raccoons to fox to birds of prey.

drumstick diva and Ol Grey Mare like this.
  3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X2
    Daytime or night? Free ranging or found inside coop or run?

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    In my experience, that's mink. We have the little weasels here. They tend to just bite into the neck or under the wing and lap up the blood.

drumstick diva likes this.
  5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I am not sure if it was day or night, as it was the first Monday of daylight savings time, and I just added feed and water and left in the morning, not checking the coop, and not seeing the bird.

I have had a small hole under the fence line that I was pretty sure was a pack rat, from the tracks in the run. I should have done something about it, buggers.

Course now we are socked in with snow.

I am setting a trap for the next few nights. I have had coons many a time, but they always tear the body apart. This, (my favorite) is just missing her head.

Mrs K

6. A_Fowl_Guy

A_Fowl_Guy Wildlife Biologist

Jan 29, 2019
    Newberry, Indiana
    Usually a coon will only eat the neck and head. Could have also been a bird of prey.

7. OhZark Biddies

OhZark Biddies Crowing

Apr 13, 2018
    s. central Missouri
    My Coop
    Pack rat? or other kind of rat?

I get pack rats (eastern wood rats) from time to time, but they are solitary and vegetarians ... so aside from maybe sneaking some feed or scratch, and making messy nests, I have not noticed them to be a bother... but I still remove them from the coop/shed.

There are of course other species of wood rats that are called pack rats too.... but I don't think those generally harm chickens either.... I could be wrong though.

All of that ....is to say, if you have common rats (Norway rats) then this is a good suspect for something that might kill a hen and eat the head.... and so something that you do indeed want to deal with.

Edit to add:
    Also, if you have rats... there is a good chance you don't have minks or weasels as those critters like to kill rats... but that is not to say a mink or weasel didn't come for the rats and stay for the chickens... it's just hard to say without more info

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  8. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    You might be able to rule out a rat based on whether feathers were also consumed or not. My limited rodent issues had feathers not being consumed by the rodent. They would eat down.

drumstick diva and A_Fowl_Guy like this.
  9. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I have had coons numerous times, and they always tear my birds apart. I was not too worried about the pack rat, or wood rat, as I figured he was getting a free meal what the chickens left. It was in a difficult place to get to with the winter. So I left it.

Two birds are gone, one completely. One just the head. Not a bird of prey, completely enclosed. I would be pretty sure it was a coon, except the hole is too small for a coon, but they have gotten through my fencing before.

10. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Any feathers indicating nature of struggle?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: