Missing the mark

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickymamma78, Sep 17, 2016.

1. chickymamma78

chickymamma78 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2016
    Colorado
    I have 9 hens and all of the sudden a few are missing the nest. I have 4 nest boxes set up but came home to an egg in the run. How can I get them to drop their room n board payment in the nests??

1 person likes this.
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    More details please. You found one egg in the run is all? Or you're not finding eggs at all in the nest boxes!

3. chickymamma78

Aug 21, 2016
    Colorado
    One in the run and at least one a day in the coop but not in the nest.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hmmm. That's a puzzle. If the others are laying in the nest boxes, that should have shown the one that are laying on the coop floor and the other that lays in the run, where the eggs are supposed to be. If none were using the boxes I'd suggest fake "eggs" like golf balls be placed in the box to show them the proper place. If this is a sudden occurrence (if they had been using the boxes but now aren't) I'd say that either something scared them out of using the box, or something is more appealing outside than the next box itself. Other than that, I'm stumped. Sorry?

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Still more info needed.
    How old are birds?
    How long have they been laying?

Redsoxs offered good ideas.
    Sometimes they just get too busy to get back to nests....or there's some ruckus going on.

6. chickymamma78

Aug 21, 2016
    Colorado
    Red sex links-age is unknown, at least a year old
    Mixed breed-age is 6.5 months. She has only been laying for a week and the others all year.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If only laying for a week...it can take them a while to figure it out...fake eggs/golf balls in nest might help.
    Older birds may not be laying if getting read to molt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by