Missing thermometer in hen house

LoriFry53

In the Brooder
Dec 2, 2022
I keep a small brooder thermometer in the hen house to keep an eye on the temps and this morning I found it on the ground with the glass that contains the mercury missing. I've looked all over the hen house on my hands and knees and can't find it or any pieces of it. It's only about 4" long and very thin but I thought I would at least find pieces of it. I have 10 pullets about 2 months old and I know they peck at anything red. Could they have eaten it? Has anyone else had their hens eat glass? They all appear healthy and running around the yard as usual.

Mine don't normally eat glass but a tiny sliver of glass in the bedding can easily get eaten. Now that it is broken, the red dyed alcohol is gone and evaporated so that won't be an attractant. I would just muck out all the bedding in that area and put down new bedding. You'll never find the glass but it is there.
A Bluetooth thermometer is a good way to go.
This thing is great, extremely accurate and measures humidity too. If you have a smart phone, you won't even have to go in the coop to know the conditions in there. It is about 1" square and won't break.
https://www.amazon.com/Govee-Hygrometer-Thermometer-Bluetooth-Notification/dp/B09BHSLWBL

Best of luck. That would be like looking for a needle in a hay stack. The red fluid in a thermometer is alcohol, not mercury. It's not as accurate as mercury but much safer to use.
Thank you so much! I didn't know it wasn't mercury so feel much better now.

Mine don't normally eat glass but a tiny sliver of glass in the bedding can easily get eaten. Now that it is broken, the red dyed alcohol is gone and evaporated so that won't be an attractant. I would just muck out all the bedding in that area and put down new bedding. You'll never find the glass but it is there.
A Bluetooth thermometer is a good way to go.
This thing is great, extremely accurate and measures humidity too. If you have a smart phone, you won't even have to go in the coop to know the conditions in there. It is about 1" square and won't break.
https://www.amazon.com/Govee-Hygrometer-Thermometer-Bluetooth-Notification/dp/B09BHSLWBL
I did remove all the hay and pine shaving in that area just to be on the safe side. Great tip on the Bluetooth thermometer, I'll check it out. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom