......Missing.....

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by WVchick71, Oct 31, 2011.

1. WVchick71

WVchick71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Small Town
    What could have taken them? 2 of my BLRW (a roo and a hen) just disappeared the other night. There were feathers everywhere..in and outside the coop as well as a nice little trail of them leading into the woods. This is awful.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Well, I would imagine a fox or coyote or even a bobcat, since you just found feathers and a trail of feathers leading into the woods. Predators like minks, raccoons, skunks, possums and dogs will often leave blood and such or even kill and just leave the bodies....

So sorry for your loss! [​IMG]

3. WVchick71

WVchick71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Small Town
    YIKES...How in the world am I gonna catch/kill any of those?

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    plenty of posts giving information on trapping, etc on this topic - and how to fortify run/ coop against further attacks.Read thru them - if you still have concerns come back and ask away

5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    It's relatively easy to lock up your birds in the coop at night when most wild animal attacks occur. It's the daytime dog attacks that are harder to avoid unless your birds are confined to run all day. We take out chances with the dogs here and always close the coop at dark. Dogs will kill all your birds for sport and rarely take any.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by