Before:
chickens057-1.jpg

After:
chicken002.jpg

Now for the fun part of culling, lol
chicken007.jpg

chicken008.jpg

chicken011.jpg

And it tasted GREAT! I know what to do next time to improve though. He was a little tough, so I am going to invest in meat tenderizer and then it should be about perfect.

I just can't get over the size of his breast at only 6, yes 6 weeks of age.
chicken003.jpg

This is my first of many many chickens so I can't help but be proud. I had the axe in my hand and did the deed and brought home food, and it feels good! lol

vortec

What method did you use? Ax, killing cone, knife, twist/other. I have to do this in 4 weeks, and have been reading Storey's chicken manual. They advise against axing head off because of inhibited bleeding leaving the meat saturated. However, it seemed more humane to me.
tongue.gif

I used a simple camp axe purchased the night before at Wal-mart. I used this method so that most of the blood would run out of the top while the heart was still beating and he was flopping. There was no problem with meet saturation, and he didn't feel a thing. Very humane.

vortec

Quote:
Oh yeah! And it tasted every bit as good as it looked. Sad part is I am all out of cornish x rocks at the moment. Now I have to feed my standard roos for weeks and weeks and they still won't turn out the breast meet this guy did in 6 weeks! I am impressed with this breed!

vortec

Quote:
Oh yeah! And it tasted every bit as good as it looked. Sad part is I am all out of cornish x rocks at the moment. Now I have to feed my standard roos for weeks and weeks and they still won't turn out the breast meet this guy did in 6 weeks! I am impressed with this breed!

vortec

They make more.... call Murray McMurray. LOL

Quote:

vortec

They make more.... call Murray McMurray. LOL

lol! I am not allowed to until A: We build a coop for them. and B: September. I have not bought chicks since march and I am in withdrawl, lol

vortec

Good job. Can I ask how much he weighed? Mine are 5 weeks old and I'm counting the days. Might be more tender if it rest in the refrig a couple of days.

Quote:
Dang! I didn't even weigh it. I don't know what to tell you. I'm not good with weight estimation. It was enough to feed a hungry family of five in addition to hamburgers and hot dogs. I would have let him get bigger, but I didn't feed him the right way. You are supposed to feed 12 hours on 12 off, and I had been feeding him continuously, just like the others oblivious to this fact until my other cornish was found dead. I felt it was near to the end of this ones life and felt if I waited he might die before we had a chance to eat him. It was truely amazing to see the blood clot we found lodged in his chest. It probably would have taken the bird out within the week. So for all of those who own these birds, feed 12 hours on and 12 off or you are putting yourself at risk for early deaths. I will do it the right way next time.

vortec

The feeding hassles for broilers is rapidly convincing me to raise purebreed Cornish instead...

I was going to ask you why you skinned him, but I imagine he was a nightmare of pinfeathers at that age, huh?

Back
Top Bottom