mission accomplished (pictures) ~ now 4 some questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by m2wandc, Apr 21, 2009.

1. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Here are pics of our new little baby chicks...I was first in line and it was CRAZY! I'm pretty sure all 50 chicks were gone within 30 minutes of the feedstore opening!

They both seem quiet friendly "so far" (probably too exhausted to do anything) they started to chirp really loudly when I left the room and when I came back, they went back to a calm little chirp (see video clip at the bottom) They let my kids pet them (one finger on the head) while I held them, they didn't squirm or fight it.

They both found the food and water and I've seen them both drink & eat, they are pecking at the shavings, which is new to them, at the feedstore they had a flat paper towel like pad.

They currently are both sitting down not too close to each other, but about a few inches from each other. The temp reads 86-ish. They are both currently very quiet, not making a peep.

If you can really give the birds a good look over from the photos and tell me if you see anything I should be concerned about or watch, I'd greatly appreciate it! [​IMG] I'm curious if 'hens' are supposed to have that ridge on the top of their heads? The BO has a small one forming and that made me wonder if I was getting a rooster??? [​IMG] (remember chicken newbie here!) [​IMG]

The Black chick is Betsy & the Blond one is Betty (at least for now) LOL (my son is teetering on "Ogre" still for both of them...LOL [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Cute chicks. Congrats.
    Both sexes get combs (the ridge on the head) so no worries.

3. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Can you stop at 2?

4. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Dont look now, but from the second picture I believe your about to have a bear attack. [​IMG]

5. Slywoody

Slywoody Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    MINN.
    You might want to put some paper towels on top of the shavings. If they swallow them, they could choke or if they eat a lot of them, they could get impacted or bound crop.. Just trying to help, Woody

6. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    They look very healthy to me! Enjoy those cuties and get ready for more...and more...and... [​IMG]

7. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Cute! Good luck staying with just two! [​IMG]

8. m2wandc

Apr 19, 2009
    it can be addicting! LOL...

I'm going to see how this goes...the other local feedstore is getting chicks in on Friday...so my thought is we'll see how these two get on for the next few days and if it looks like we might have issues then I might get another one? I just don't know...I sure like Betsy & Betty so far!!! [​IMG]

VERY SWEET GIRLS...they were sleeping and seem very content...they were at the edge of the red lamp ring (not directly under it, but not away from it) and they were next to each other about 1/2 an inch from each other. I was quietly watching them, but then my shoe made a noise and they popped up and quickly went over to the feeder and started to eat and then one hopped over to the waterer and drank and then they peeped about with little chirps so I talked to them for a minute and then left them to do their thing...I think they are content with their new home...hope they stay healthy & happy!!!

Chicken question...is their poop vent directly under the tail and above the puff of fluff? or under that puff of fluff? Just want to keep an eye on poopy build up...they both have pooped so far (or I think so, there are two turds in there now)

What is their new home called? Hatchery or Brooder..can't remember?

9. m2wandc

Apr 19, 2009
    Quote:Thanks for the suggestions...I'll keep an eye on that [​IMG]

10. chickie_mama

chickie_mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Lula, GA
    They are soooo cute!!!! Welcome to the obsession!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by