Mission Viejo, CA ? So are they legal or not?

Mamato4

Hatching
10 Years
May 23, 2009
Hi,

I have some questions about the legality of keeping chickens. I live in Mission Viejo, Ca. I'm finding all sorts of lists of cities where it's legal to keep chickens online and Mission Viejo is on that list for 2 hens, no roosters allowed. But city code 9.59.115-1 says no chickens allowed. It specificially reads Animals . Animals, livestock, poultry or bees kept, bred or maintained for any purpose or in violation of any provision of the City Municipal Code. I had called the city back in Spring 2008 and was told I was not allowed to keep chickens. But now I'm finding all this lists that say I can but nothing in the city code. Does anyone know about this? Anyone keeping chickens in Mission Viejo?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I live in MV as well and just got a notice from animal service about the chickens. Wonderful neighbor called:(. Chickens are awesome pets, low maintenance, and just plain fun to watch in the yard. They are about 4 months old so we didn't get the joy of collecting eggs yet.

Anyone know how to change this law?

Anyone still have chickens? I SO want to find a way to change the city ordinance to allow chickens as pets like they do in Costa Mesa and Huntington Beach. Outdated laws...If I have to listen to dogs bark...they can handle a chicken. At least my chickens won't poop on their lawns and at least mine will make great fertilizer for the garden!

Anyone still have chickens in MV? I love here and know other families. I SO want to find a way to change the city ordinance to allow chickens as pets like they do in Costa Mesa and Huntington Beach. Outdated laws...If I have to listen to dogs bark...they can handle a chicken. At least my chickens won't poop on their lawns and at least mine will make great fertilizer for the garden!

I just got an e-mail response from someone at the City of Mission Viejo, her name I can't recall, and she sent me the quote in the city ordinance stating specifically that chickens are not allowed in the city of Mission Viejo. I want 2 hens and plan on doing it anyway, but on the sly. If you want to help me try to change the ordinance, lets talk!

[email protected]

I am also interested in having a couple of chickens in my Mission Viejo backyard. I don't have time to fight city hall but I will sign the petition and get signatures if that is what we need to do.

I was cited by the city the city code 9.59.115-1 "nuisances designated". I found this code to be vague and badly written. It states as follows (item as public nuisances):

(a) Animals. Animals, livestock, poultry or bees kept, bred or maintained for any purpose or in violation of any provision of the City Municipal Code."

That's it. Very simple.

As stated, "animals, livestock, poultry..." inclusively, are all considered as components of public nuisances. Now, let's take a minute to analyze the term "animals". My understanding is dogs, cats, parrots... are animals. Human beings are also considered as animals since no special word for this particular species exists other than that. Since "animals" are included in the code as nuisances, shouldn't all dogs, cats, parrots and human beings banned from the city?

This code seems to me was written in a hurry. Normally, cities are zoned. Something that is allowed in one zone may not be allowed in another. It should not be blanket code.

My chickens are pets! I raised them since they were just little furry balls. They are smarter than you may think. I found them to learn things quickly. They follow me around like dogs and obey some simple commands. Now they faithfully lay eggs every day so I have fresh eggs all the time. My neighbors love the eggs too. The kids in the neighborhood come to pet them and play with them. I clean their coop daily and keep the premises nice and clean. I absolutely see no reason for this code existence. Several neighbors have said they liked to have chickens, too. They see the benefits in it. It simply is the trend today. This code is in violation of voter's right, not what most of the residents want, my opinion.

Anyone wants to start a petition, please count me in.

Got this from Google Maps:
blue-dot.png

Mission Viejo, CA
You are allowed up to two chickens, and roosters are not allowed. But city code 9.59.115-1 says no chickens allowed.
I would like to keep chickens. I think we have a right to self sustainability. I would help with a petition.
There are many in MV that keep chickens. Chickens are less of a nuisance than the stray cats in the neighborhood.​

Hello I am reading old posts, but I still want to know if you can have chickens in Mission Viejo, CA. If there is a petition to sign, where is it? I just read in the newspaper this month that Mission Viejo allows 2 chickens. The city says no in the bylaws.
Contact me if you have time.
Patrick
[email protected]

July 13, 2014

Hello I am reading old posts, but I still want to know if you can have chickens in Mission Viejo, CA. If there is a petition to sign, where is it? I just read in the newspaper this month that Mission Viejo allows 2 chickens. The city says no in the bylaws.
Contact me if you have time.
Patrick
[email protected]

Back
Top Bottom