Mississippi chicken laws?

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by bayouchick, Jun 20, 2011.

1. bayouchick

bayouchick New Egg

Jun 19, 2011
    Does anyone have anything to say about the Mississippi chicken laws. We want to sell eggs, and eventually have meat chickens. Anybody know who to call or go see in Jeff Davis County?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'd suggest you start with your county extension agent, in the phone book under county government. The State will have their rules, but the county, city, town, Homeowner's Association, the Farmer's Market, anybody that has jurisdiction where where you live or where you plan to sell them might have their own added restrictions. The extension agent should know where to start. Some extension agents are better than others. They are not supposed to know everything off the top of their heads, but they have the contacts to find out what the laws and rules are if they will use them. If the agent is good, he/she'll cover all jurisdictions, but a lazy one will give you state rules only.

The extension agent would be my first call, but I'd probably talk to the county too. Maybe call whoever represents you in the county government to see who to talk to or call your county sheriff's office to find out who would enforce the laws, either raising them where you plan to or where you plan to sell them. And if you plan to sell at a farmer's market, definitely talk to them.

1 person likes this.
  3. bayouchick

bayouchick New Egg

Jun 19, 2011
    Can't thank you enough for taking the time to reply to my questions. A little cautious about investing too far. We would like to go to farmers markets with eggs, chickens, and maybe some herbs. Want so much to break away from working for someone elses dream, if you know what I mean. Thanks again. Bayouchick and The Reddog

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by