MISSOURI CHICKEN LAWS & ORDINANCES ABOUT NEIGHBOR KILLING MY CHICKENS

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by CSNIDER, Dec 27, 2014.

1. CSNIDER

CSNIDER New Egg

May 25, 2013
    WARSAW, MO
    I HAVE 4 ACRES IN THE COUNTRY AND I FREE RANGE. THAT IS WHY WE PURCHASED THIS HOUSE. NEIGHBOR WAS COOL WITH MY CHICKENS, I THINK BUT HE IS NOT NOW. HE DOES NOT WANT MY CHICKENS IN HIS YARD EATING HIS BUGS. HE SAID SHERIFF SAID HE COULD KILL & EAT MY CHICKENS IF THEY COME IN HIS YARD. IT IS NOT LIKE ALL 20 OF MY CHICKS ARE OVER THERE JUST 3 OR 4 WHEN HE STARTS SHOOTING AND THROWING ROCKS AT THEM. CAN HE REALLY SHOOT MY CHICKENS? WE WILL PUT A FENCE UP WHEN THE MONEY IS AVAILABLE.

2. WthrLady

WthrLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    WestOak, Nebraska
    I would think that, yes he can. Although it might be seen as a gross over reaction on his part.

He has a right to the enjoyment of his property as you do.

How would you feel if he had a dog or cat and it was allowed to roam and tear up and poo all over your property.... maybe eating your chickens?

3. RWD

RWD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Wartrace TN.
    Good fences make good neighbors......

1 person likes this.
  4. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    A temp. fence can be constructed of (for example) old bed sheets & saplings, string to hold the fabric to the poles and rocks/bricks to anchor bottoms of sheets to ground.

5. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    Most areas have laws about nuisance animals. Your chickens are being a nuisance and it is your responsibility to contain them since your neighbor has let you know he does not want any of them in his yard.

I suggest you go to Craiglist for your area and search for used fencing material. Use whatever you can get and make a run. Post an ad that you will tear down an old fence if you can keep the materials. I have seen people giving away chain link and privacy fence, as well as selling them for very little. If you do a search for "fence" you will get results for neighboring areas, too.

Additionally, apologize to the neighbor, most sincerely. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by