Missouri Law on Selling Eggs

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by ak2177, Jan 20, 2009.

1. ak2177

ak2177 New Egg

Jan 1, 2009
    Does anyone know whether it is legal to sell eggs from the farm in Missouri? Can anyone direct me to a website that indicates laws/ordinances on selling farm fresh eggs?

2. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    I would contact your local extension office. They'll know the rules.

3. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    You can sell eggs from your property as well as raw goats/cows milk.

4. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    This was fairly easy for me to find. The issue of egg sales is always an important one at a farmers' market so starting there . . .

Egg sales are controlled by the Missouri Department of Agriculture, Division of Weights and Measures. But, they must allow for on-farm sales without a license:
    License to sell eggs required--exceptions.

196.313. No person shall buy, sell, trade or traffic in eggs in this state without a license with the following exceptions:

(1) Those who sell only eggs produced by their own flocks, provided such eggs are not sold at an established place of business away from the premises of such producer;

Now, there may be local health department requirements - this is the state statute. However, some state legislatures forbid local government from having any control of on-site farm sales.

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by