Missouri State "import" regs on poultry?


10 Years
Aug 11, 2011
Upshur County, Texas
I'm planning a cross country move from Arizona to Missouri through Albuquerque, Amarillo, and Tulsa.
We'd like to keep some of our favorite "pet" ducks and a goose. Does anyone know what inspections I'll have to do, or what documentation I need or where I might need to plan to stop to have my birds or paperwork examined along the way?
we just did this (where in missouri? we're in SW area near springfield)

when we checked with our vet, he said expensive blood test required for ducks, $35 each, for ... I don't remember which disease. we elected to sell our ducks and start over because of the price (more than the ducks were worth) and because we didn't have anything particularly special in the flock.

having said that, noone stopped me to ask about anything as I was driving cross country. didn't have a livestock trailer, just cats in carriers in my car, but if one was paying half an ounce of attention it would be clear I was moving (based on how full my explorer was!)

have you done an internet search on "missouri poultry import"?
9.Poultry and Waterfowl.

A.Live poultry (except those consigned directly to slaughter) shall be accompanied by a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection or a VS Form 9-3 (see 2 CSR 30-2.040). If a VS Form 9-3 is used, a signed and dated owner/shipper statement must be included stating that, to his/her best knowledge, the birds are healthy. Poultry known to be infected with pullorum or typhoid that are consigned directly to slaughter must be identified as such by the consignor.

B.Live poultry entering Missouri must be tested negative for pullorum-typhoid within the past ninety (90) days or originate from a flock approved by the National Poultry Improvement Plan (NPIP) or an equivalent program which has been tested within the past twelve (12) months with no change of ownership.

C.Hatching eggs must be accompanied by a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection certifying the eggs to be from pullorum-free flocks or by a VS Form 9-3.

D.All poultry and hatching eggs imported into Missouri require an entry permit prior to shipment. Annual entry permits shall be issued by the department to participants in the NPIP or an equivalent program. Producers not approved by NPIP or an equivalent program must request a permit with each shipment.
2.Entry Permits. Entry permit numbers may be obtained by contacting the Missouri Department of Agriculture, Division of Animal Health, (573) 751-4359. It is specifically noted within these rules when an entry permit is required. Permits and information regarding Missouri’s import requirements may be obtained at this telephone number from 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Central Time (CT)), Monday through Friday. Blanket permits are available for sales or extenuating circumstance, call 573-751-4359 to obtain a blanket permit.
We are looking at a farm that is also SW of Springfield Gypsy! Around Ava. Crossing my fingers that it all goes well. I am NOT designed to be an arizonan and I'm ecstatic at the chance to leave. I will gladly take the Ozark rocks on as a cultivation challenge in exchange for these ridiculous 3 month heat waves and hard packed dust they call soil.

Kudos for the INCREDIBLY thorough information. That seems really cost prohibitive for mail order hatcheries. That or the exemption status is easy for hatching business to get as an endorsement.

While I'd like to keep my heritage layers, you're right, its just not cost efficient to move them. I guess I will just vet the 3 my family cannot live without-- my husbands gander and my daughter's pet campbell and her mate.

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom