MissPrissy (and others) - Talk to Me!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by helmstead, Nov 26, 2008.

1. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I just bought a Nubian doe, bred for mid-January! [​IMG]

I'll be picking her up in a week and half...

Talk to me about these big goats. I'm very familiar with feed amounts for minis...but not the bigguns.

2. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    LOL...Kate they are basically the same just eat a little more...I up my bigger girls alfalfa when I feed and milk. Since she is dur to kid soon she isnt in milk yet so basically feed what you feed she just gets a little more and lots of hay. Mine free feed when not milking. They run from feeder to feeder. Just add maybe a quart more feed to what you feed the others. Or you can get her to go to the stand to eat and that way she will be ready when the time comes to milk and she wont get overweight. Good luck you will love milking a bigger girl as its easier on the back...and bigger teats...

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Same as your little goats, probably still smaller than my goat-pony (LOL). They eat more but have the same needs. You'll see. Easy Peasy.

4. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Also, find out from the seller what and how much the goat is getting fed. If the goat is in good health continue along those lines.

5. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Quote:Oh my gosh, you are crossing over to the big girls.. I actually went and visited a production goat dairy farm two weeks ago. He currently milks about 40 goats (with machines). Nubians, LaManchas and Oberhasli.

I love the Nubian ears. What I can tell you about them is that they have a very different voice. But I love them.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  6. Livinzoo

Livinzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Statham, GA
    Congrats on the new girl.

Did the person you bought her from have others for sale? If so can you PM me their info. I'm looking for a nubian to add to my small herd.

7. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Everything is bigger, which means your kidding will probably be easier.... easier to milk.... easier to trim hooves, etc.

8. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    We are very excited to be getting her. There aren't any really nice Nubians here in GA...as it is, we're having to travel 5 hours ONE WAY to get her. She is either bred to a red roan or a red moonspotted buck (kidding in Jan would be the roan, after Jan would be the moonspotted). I've been around a few Nubians here in GA...but they were really not good examples of the breed. I swear GA Nubians are stunted for some reason. All have been super sweet though.

This doe was partially bottle raised, so her temperament is awesome. She always kids with twins, too. Naturally I won't say what I'm hoping for when she does kid [​IMG]

9. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Congrats on your new doe!

I just brought home my first Nubian milk doe this week. She's such a sweetie... but so are my Alpines and my Nigerians.... Ok, goats are just sweet and wonderful and fun and ... you know....[​IMG]

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Where's the photos?????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by