1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

MissPrissy, anyone, I Have partial paralyzed roo!!!! RECOVERED!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pumpkinpup, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I have a young Marans roo who was picked on very badly by two RIR roos the same age. I removed him from the coop and brought him inside. He has had most of his back and tail feathers picked out. I treated the exterior wounds but he will not attempt to stand or walk at all. He can use his legs as I have picked him up and put upward pressure on his feet. He curls his toes around my fingers but no grip to speak of and he will move his legs a bit but that's all. He has been this way now for 5 days. I have him in the house by himself and am feeding him his normal ration plus cooked brown rice and other goodies to help build him back up. Do you have any suggestions as to what I can do to encourage him to use his legs? This is the most bizarre thing I think I have ever seen [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Is it possible he went paralyzed BEFORE the picking started? Maybe that's what started it... seeing a weak target.????

3. Pumpkinpup

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    He seemed just fine the evening before. He was actually moving around when I took him from the pen so he could not have been like this completely before the picking started. That is part of what shocks me so, he was still mobile when I brought him inside the house.

4. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Maybe nerve damage? Or he sprained something and doesn't want to move it? I hope someone comes along soon that can help you figure it out.... I haven't dealt with too many injuries yet.

5. Pumpkinpup

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I am sure there is some nerve damage. I can't imaging a sprain in both legs! I'm just wondering now how do you attempt to rehab him if it's even possible. [​IMG]

6. Pumpkinpup

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Bump [​IMG]

7. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Bummer about the rooster. I wouldn't have kept him around much longer than the first 24 hrs without him showing improvement.

8. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Did he suffer a head wound?

Does he look dis-spirited? Is he eating normal amounts? Is he just sleeping on his side? Is he healing at all?

I don't have answers, but maybe if you elaborate it will help someone who does.

9. Pumpkinpup

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    He is fine in every way with the only exception being he is minus some feathers and does not stand or walk. He is perky, alert, happy, eats and drinks fine, no open wounds at all and no head injury.

10. LAChick

LAChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2008
    Hello Pumpkinpup,
    I had three different hens over the period of 15 years that where free range, who lost the ability to walk or stand. They where alert and healthy and sat on the lawn as if they where nesting in their box. All three times it turned out that they suffered from some head injury. I would isolate, feed and water and wait. One made a remarkable recovery over a monthÂ’s time and was able two walk a slow stiff walk for many years after. The other two passed about two to three weeks after the accidents. Good luck and we will pray for the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by