missvicki

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by vicki0903, Feb 8, 2015.

1. vicki0903

vicki0903 New Egg

Feb 8, 2015
    Hello, my name is Vicki. My husband and I have had backyard chickens for quite sometime. We have had buff orphingtons,
    cinnamon queens, we now have barred rocks. If I remember right the cinnamon queens and buffs didn't get along very well.
    So that's when we decided to try the barred rocks. They are a very gentle and friendly bird, when they see me come out with
    my pink bucket they all start flocking to my feet. I fill their bucket and start back to their pen and they're still at my feet.....some will eat from my hand and allow me to pet them. We were setting outside today enjoying the sun, a glass of tea set beside my chair, one was so curious she thought she would try a sip......But we are wanting to get more hens but want some that will lay and set...does anyone have any suggestions as to what breed we should get. We are leaning toward RIR, or more buff orph...Thank you for your suggestions..... Have a great day!!!

2. PhoredaBurds

PhoredaBurds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    NY Finger Lakes Region
    Welcome!!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Buff orps, Cochins, and Silkies are generally very good broodies. Welcome to Backyard chickens. Glad you joined the flock.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Vicki. Glad you decided to our flock. If you're looking for docile breeds, Buff Orpingtons are generally calmer and more gentle than Rhode Island Reds. RIRs are sometimes aggressive (especially the roosters). My children and granddaughter made lap pets out of our Buff Orpingtons. Cinnamon Queen is one of many labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links. Sex Links are egg laying machines and if you want sex link productivity I would suggest getting Black Sex Links (Black Stars). My Black Sex Links have been friendlier than my Red Sex Links. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

5. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

We have RIR and they are wonderful, dependable layers but don't show any tendency toward broodiness. We also have a few other breeds and of those, the Speckled Sussex seem to like sitting on the eggs the most.

This chart may help you with breed traits (including broodiness)
    http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined us.

Another breed that I would recommend would be the Wyandotte. Mine tend to be docile, very good layers, quite hardy, and very personable and inquisitive birds. I wouldn't advise getting Rhode Island Reds, as in my experience the ones you get from hatcheries can be mean or at least standoffish.

7. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Oh no, guess I'll have to stick up for Zam and Taylor, my 2 RIR girls, lol. Personality-wise, Taylor is a sweetheart (she's DH's girl but likes me well enough). Zam is the leader of the pack but not mean to the other birds, they just seem to have accepted her as their leader and give her deference without challenge. Both of them are chatty and always come up to 'talk' to us. Maybe we got lucky with our RIR's but I wouldn't trade these 2 for any other bird (plus they each lay almost every single day).

Ok, RIR defense is done...carry on, lol.

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

My buff orps have never gone broody. Silkies and cochins are normally very broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by