Missy is limping

artsyrobin

Artful Wings
15 Years
Mar 1, 2009
Muskogee OK
hi everyone, this is my swedish, Missy, she has been limping for a couple days so i have her in a separate area, during the day in the bathroom, in the tub part of the day to get weight off her foot- any ideas what it might be? there isn't any bumble..i looked at the other ducks, they don't have the lump- any ideas? she also isn't eating much and i do give her warm baths periodically to get off the foot- she bends her joints ok, today she was holding her foot off the ground

file-3.jpg

file-2.jpg

file-1.jpg

file.jpg

You say you checked the foot - but what about further up- how does the hock feel- or even the hip. It could be something other than her actual foot causing her some discomfort.

a friend pointed out what appears to be a sore, on the outer toe underneath....? a little round area.... bumble?? or a cut??

I did notice that spot - but was too hard to make out what it was in the smaller photo. Make sure there is no thorn or anything inside and try to make sure her feet are kept clean- that could soon turn into bumblefoot - but also doesnt look bad enough to cause the amount of discomfort you have described she is in.

I have a couple of thoughts - I'd dab some triple antibiotic on that spot once a day for a week, just to be cautious.

That's not big enough to cause a limp, if she's anything like my runners. Some ducks seem to be arthritic, especially in colder weather. She may have also pulled a muscle - every now and then one of my ducks limps for a few days then gets it straightened out.

I would give vitamins, and a few opportunities in a lukewarm tub deep enough to float in.

thanks- she is getting baths, looked at it real close, looks like a cut of some sort, so have put medicine on it. Hubby says he saw the bunch of them jump from the top of the waterfall into the pond, about 4 feet(shaking my head here, worse than kids!)- so i am assuming she landed wrong, cause it was the next morning she pulled up lame-

That leg looks inflamed & swelled at both joints. Keep an eye on them. Poultry is new to me, but other small animals can be given a baby aspirin to reduce swelling. You might research that. Hope she heals up soon.

thanks- so far she is getting a couple warm tubs to swim in and put her outside in a pen to visit her buddies during the day, she is putting more weight on it, so i am thinking she sprained it somehow

Back
Top Bottom