Mist Eggs Under Broody Hen?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thechickonthehill, Sep 21, 2009.

1. thechickonthehill

thechickonthehill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Sadieville, KY
    I have 8 eggs under my first broody hen and have been obsessively reading trying to make sure I don't do anything wrong. In addition to BYC threads on the subject, I have checked out several books from the library. One of the books says that if your broody hen is in a nest box (which mine is) instead of a nest on the dirt, that on days 17, 18, and 19 you should mist the eggs to make sure they have enough moisture to hatch. Does anyone do this?[​IMG]

2. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    No. The hen will take care of the eggs herself. At least in my experience, and we have had several successful hatches.

3. thechickonthehill

thechickonthehill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Sadieville, KY
    Thanks for the quick answer. Its so nice to have people around who have done this before.[​IMG]

4. WiseChicks

WiseChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Hudson, WI
    make sure you have a pan of water in the coop area. If you watch your hens, they will go "wade" in the water when they are off the nest eating and drinking.

I had no idea until about my 4th hatch, and just happened to catch it one day when I was feeding them.

katie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by