Mistake Adding Two Chickens, Now What

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BeccaSmith, Nov 30, 2011.

1. BeccaSmith

BeccaSmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Meridian, ID
    DH and I jumped on an ad we saw on Craigs List about 2 weeks ago for 2 laying hens free to good home due to predator problems, so we jumped at the chance to take them in since we were wanting to add a few more to our current flock which we raised from babies in April. We didn't have a way to separate them before introducing them and our girls are just mean to the other two....and we think one is a young male because he likes to side step but hasn't crowed yet. Anyways....we blocked off the top of the nesting boxes where they were hanging out because that was the only place they could be that was kind of safe from being chased, and we also blocked off the nesting boxes at night because these two were sleeping in them at night to stay away from the others. There is plenty of room on the roosts for them, but our girls are just mean to them and won't let them hang. So now that they don't really have a safe place in the coop....we are starting to wonder if we should even keep them. I don't have the heart to kill them and I'm also torn up on getting rid of them because they would have to start the process over again with another new flock somewhere else. I'm just curious what others recommend. Separating them and adding additional feeders and waters is out of the question as it wouldn't work with our current set up in the coop. We just made the alterations to the nesting box last night, so I'm wondering if things will just settle after few weeks and we just need to be patient and give them time, it's already been a couple of weeks since we brought them home, or should we look into finding another new home for them. The two do not leave the coop much and the coop is much messier (due to poop) and everyone picks on each other much more. On another note, our girls are fine with the neighbors chickens hanging out with them and going in our coop...the last two nights their rooster has stayed the night in our coop...they just don't like the two we brought home! Lesson learned, we'll never do it again....but we are wondering what would be best to do at this point?

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Well the mistake was adding them before a month of isolation. However, it's a plus that there is no sickness going on now. You were lucky. I wouldn't recommend doing this again.

Now as for fighting, it is normal. If they are old enough to fend for themselves, I wouldn't worry. They will settle down eventually [​IMG]

3. BeccaSmith

BeccaSmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Meridian, ID
    Quote:I agree with the mistake of not isolating them....definitely a lesson learned...we will never do it again...it isn't worth risking our current flocks health! It just pains me so much to watch the two be picked on to the point they can't sleep on the roosts tonight when there is extra room for them!

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Don't add adults unless you have a place for quarantine. You'd feel worse if they all got sick and died.
    Chicken keepers need a separate place even if you don't add birds so you can isolate injured/ill birds.

Until they get accepted they need a place to get away from bullies.
    Why did you block them off from their hiding place on top of the nest box?

If you had a separate place for birds the best option would be taking the 1 or 2 biggest bullies to time out for a week till the others make friends.

Let the new ones hang out where they feel safe and after dark place them on the roost.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  5. aoxa

Quote:I agree with the mistake of not isolating them....definitely a lesson learned...we will never do it again...it isn't worth risking our current flocks health! It just pains me so much to watch the two be picked on to the point they can't sleep on the roosts tonight when there is extra room for them!

Even after they get used to them, my head hen will not allow any one of our 18 chickens sleep next to her. She is so bossy!

I would place them on the roost manually and turn out the lights. They will not fight when it is dark.

I have added quite a few and the squabbles only seem to last for a day or two with my flock. [​IMG]

6. tmoore8595

tmoore8595 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Jefferson County, Al.
    Quote:This is how I introduce new chickens to my flock; After isolating them at a distance of at least 50 Ft. for at least one month, I put them in a small cage inside my coop. The other chickens are able to be around them, but can not hurt them. After about a week I put them on the roost with the other chickens after it is completely dark. When they wake up the next morning they think they are part of the flock. This always works great for me.

7. Jay262

Jay262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    I dont really agree with isolating them for a month i have introduced many birds to flocks after a few days a month is a little on the excessive side. After a few days to a week is fine add the new birds at night into flock keep the light off well into the next morning there usually fine.

8. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Why did you remove their only safe spots? Because it was hard for you to clean? Really?

9. tmoore8595

tmoore8595 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Jefferson County, Al.
    Quote:I only isolate for a month to make sure I don't transmit any diseases from one flock to the other.

10. aoxa

Quote:I only isolate for a month to make sure I don't transmit any diseases from one flock to the other.

Better safe than sorry [​IMG]

I have only added to my flock from the same breeder. No issues at all. This is not always the case. It's gambling really.

If you raise them from chicks, no need to isolate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by